View Single Post
Old 06-22-19, 09:00 AM   #3
Prolands
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Being currently in France I just watched it and immediately purchased a ticket for another day. It was amazing and I cannot recommend it enough - I pretty much created an account here to promote this movie (although I'm a long time lurker).

It is a highly technical, procedural almost, submarine movie, closest in flavour to Crimson Tide, although much more realistic. Some scenes were shot on actual French submarines and I found myself looking frequently at the setup in the control room. You'll find none of the recycled stock footage in this movie. It's either real subs or pretty good CGI. Great portrayal of how cramped attack subs are and how spacious the boomers look by comparison. I cant wait for it to be on VOD so I can pause and take in the juicy details, it's so rich. It is definitely a much more intimate experience than Hunter Killer, which the previous poster mentioned.

The plot focuses on sonar-man's work and the creators have done a wonderful job portraying the details of the profession and sounds that come along with it. I recommend watching this movie with headphones when it's released cause it's so beautifully done.

Below is a list of submarine warfare concepts that I've encountered - technical list only, no movie plot, but as such it can still be a minor spoiler!

- Boomers and attack subs
- Passive and active sonar (and the displays make sense)
- Turns per knot analysis
- Solution plotting
- Rigging ship for ultraquiet
- Special forces retrieval (and their gear is actually realistic)
- Submarine communications (different kinds)
- Battle stations procedures
- Nuclear launch authorisation procedures
- Navigation instrument's calibration
- Dipping sonar
- Depth charges
- DICASS sonobuoys
- Torpedo wires
In fact the movie is so technical that without previous background it would be impossible to understand a large part of it. They had great experts working on this. Of course it's not without it's flaws and some elements were a bit too "arcady" but it didn't detract from the experience.

To put it bluntly, mandatory watch for anyone registered or lurking on this forum! I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed if you are interested in contemporary submarine warfare!

Was quite surprised to see only two posts in this thread, I guess it must be due to the fact that it's quite difficult to get your hand's on this movie. I sure hope some of you do see it when/if it's on VOD services. Would be great to actually discuss it with someone!
Prolands is offline   Reply With Quote