View Single Post
Old 07-09-08, 03:08 PM   #311
RoadHazard
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Newbie Questions!

Have mercy on me. I'm just getting my feet wet.

I bought SH3 through Steam and the manual gives only the very briefest of instruction. (It also seems badly translated, but that's another matter.) In particular, I've got these fairly basic questions.

1. Do the sonar/radar men automatically locate other ships or do I need to expressly ask him/them to search?

2. Sonar doesn't work when I'm surfaced. Do I then rely on visual contacts or will the sonar/radarmen still find things as before?

3. I get the "RA: Radio message received" notice periodically. What does that mean and what should I do about it? It doesn't seem to indicate that there's news from HQ.

4. What good is the radioman, anyway?

5. What's the purpose of the horizontal and vertical scales on the observation scope?

6. I'm surprised there's no depth information marked on the big world map/chart. I ran aground a few times before I realized I've got to feel my way through the English Channel. I'm pretty sure nautical charts circa 1938 woulda had depths.

7. Do crew members auto-swap when they get tired or do I need to do that manually? I've watched them over the course of several hours and can't tell for sure.

Well, that ought to do me for a few more days. Thanks in advance for your patience.
RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote