Thread: Joystick
View Single Post
Old 06-02-07, 06:43 PM   #3
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I currently use a Saitek Cyborg EVO, but I don't recommend it unless you are prepared to tweek it like I did with mine:

It's a great stick performance-wise, and the fact that you can adjust its shape with several knurled thumb-screws is cool, but it has a centralising spring which is far too strong (so I clipped about two loops of the spring out, which makes it okay). It is lit up like a Christmas tree though, with red and blue lights all over the thing and that I could do without. No force-feedback on it either. Does the job and is small enough to fit on your desk without moving all your stuff, but it's not something to rave over. I would say pay no more than 20 quid for one (UK Sterling).

The above was a replacement for another Saitek stick, a Cyborg 3D force-feedback stick on which the rudder went U/S by the way, so Saitek are losing points with me a little, but we'll see.

The Cyborg 3D was a replacement for a Logitech stick that was okay but it was too big on the desktop being force-feedback. That being said, I certainly cannot fault the build quality of Logitech stuff, I've had one of their mice for over ten years and it still works just fine, even the printed logo hasn't worn off it! So if it came to similar sticks from Logitech and Saitek, Logitech would be my choice.

That's also why I'm not a fan of the X35/X36 sticks or their derivatives, as they lack robustness of other sticks. The fact that I've personally had two X36 rudders bust on me and one X35 plus one X36 stick also go U/S is enough to make me never buy one of those again, no matter how cool they look. Lots of buttons might look great, but if they break after a bit of use, then they're a waste of time and money.

An interesting one if you don't mind no force-feedback is this:

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/avjo.html

Not tried one of these, but the notion of twin throttle controls is interesting and I do intend to get one, I like the idea of mapping speed brakes and trim to the throttle levers in Condor, as I think that would be pretty cool. When I can be arsed picking one of these up, I'll certainly do so.

On the subject of rudder pedals, I have some Saitek ones, but I often just use the stick's twist function for a quick blast, although one thing I will say is that if you ever fancy flying the real thing (particularly gliders or high-powered prop aeroplanes, where a good bootfull on the rudder is really important) then the natural habit of applying rudder with your feet - that forms from doing it a lot - would probably prove useful as a conditioned response for the real thing.

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 06-03-07 at 02:13 AM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote