View Single Post
Old 03-13-06, 10:52 PM   #43
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwallis
Koopman's Searching and screening.I am not familiar with this one ,can you give me some details?
Koopman was a mathematician during WWII. He invented a field of mathematics called search theory. It's basically the science of figuring out the best way to look for stuff. The most famous application of his work was figuring out how to plan the best possible airplane barrier searches in the Bay of Biscay. That lead to incredible casualties among U-Boats. His work had application beyond just ASW, though. It was also important for everything from search and rescue, to finding missing children, to crime scene investigations. Most every search manual ultimately references him. If you ask me, Koopman is one of the unsung scientist-heros fo WWII, his work was every bit as important as breaking the enigma code, and found far wider application.

Most of ASW is basically just searching so everything is based on his ideas. It's really complicated, though. If you're not up to evaluating an elliptic intergral, you probably shouldn't bother with this book. It won't say, "to find a submarine, do this..." but it will give you to tools to figure out what the best tactics might be, and where to begin experimenting.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote