View Single Post
Old 04-03-17, 03:43 PM   #29
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Suffice it to say that Linux treats resources entirely differently from how Windows does. Linux is about interoperability. Windows is about proprietary exclusivity. Just like translating between two languages like German and English, it's not enough to learn it consciously.

You have to learn to THINK and dream in both German and English, making them truly native processes before you can understand all the nuances. Barracuda is further along in that than I am. I know enough to go find what I need and probably understand it.

Just to clarify my previous post,

I'm NOT saying that I don't look at the help file, or google to find where something is.
Since I usually forget it, as I rarely have to "fix" something in Linux after I do the initial setup.

What I am saying is that I know the main locations for the "core" of the system files.
I know how to get to the default txt editor (nano in a pinch, which honestly, isn't that bad), and I am (usually) smart enough to "comment out" things that I'm going to change, rather than delete them out-right in config files.
I know how to find the "man pages", and I write down a series of commands in a small notepad (which is currently still in a box somewhere...).
So if I break it, I can fix it.

I put my /home on its own partition.
In case I need to reinstall. Then it is no big deal.

But ultimately, I'm not afraid to "break" it. Just make sure you have a install USB Drive/DVD and can boot from it, then go.

Doesn't hurt that I've been (on someone else's PC) messing with Linux since Redhat 5, and had Redhat 9 installed before I found out about Fedora Core (I think FC3 was the first I installed), and I installed that.

I kept it as a "fix Windows XP" OS, and I also used many of the things that were "standard issue" in Linux to mod games.

I would use the "SDK" for the game to extract files I wanted to mod, then reboot to Linux to use editors and 3d modeling programs to make the changes.
Copy them from my XP drive to my Linux drive, make changes, then put them back in a new "modded" folder in my XP drive.
Reboot back to XP, then use the SDK for the game to put the changes into the game.

Through that, I got comfortable with Linux.
Now that WINE has come so far, I'm just running Linux.
(Better 3D drivers haven't hurt either!)

Skybird,

Open a terminal and type:

man mount

This should display a "manual page" on "mount".
Read it so you can become familiar with the way 'mount' works.

Then quit, should be "q", it should show the main commands that you can use in the "man" program at the bottom of the page.

Then type

man fstab

This will explain the way that "fstab" file automatically mounts your drives on boot.

"q" quits.

At this point you should have a basic, but good understanding of how to mount your 1TB where ever you want!

If you don't feel comfortable with it at that point, read it a few more times.
Try mounting your 1TB manually in the terminal, to see if you have it right.

At worst, it will simply "fail to mount", meaning, no harm done!

If you want some further input let us know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reece,

I would suggest the same process for you:

open a terminal and type

man apt-get

it should have one.

Fedora has one for "dnf", which is the Redhat/Fedora package manager.
It's the equivalent of "apt-get".

That way you know exactly what you are looking at in the terminal.
And see if there is one for the graphical as well

"apper" is the name of the one in Fedora/KDE, and it has a "man page".

I forget the name of the Ubuntu graphical update program at the moment.

man <name of program>

works for just about everything!

RR should be able to tell you what it is.

I REALLY need to re-install my virtual machine software!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote