iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_Schultz View Post
Hello everyone!

@ Iambecomelife:
Regarding your question of the demolition charges I found some passages in two books, that give an indication of the number of charges aboard and the numbers used for the ships.
First the book “Kein Engländer soll das Boot betreten!“ from Florian Huber. It is about the wreck of UC 71 and included is the diary of a mechanic of the boat.
Here are the two entries from the Diary that state the number of munitions:
3rd Patrol 28.03.1917-13.04.1917: 4 Torpedoes, 18 Mines, 73 Sprenggranaten (I suppose those are the Sprengpatronen = Demolition charges) and 300 rounds 8,8cm Shells.

6th Patrol 12.06.1917 – 17.06.1917: 5 Torpedoes, 0 Mines, 200 rounds 8,8cm, 70 Sprengpatronen (A new Captain was assigned to the uboat and thus the first mission would be in the Hoofden or the Westcoast to get accustomed to the boat and thus I suppose no mines were loaded.)

Also some entries that show how much one vessel needed to sink. Though it must be noticed, that the BRT of ships were often overestimated in the night in torpedo-attacks (some numbers I checked on uboat.net and saw the discrepancy). Also interesting is the fact that many ubat captains fired only one torpedo at a target; I have seen that in other sources as well.

11x8,8cm for 600BRT Sailing vessel (Schooner with two masts)
4x Demolition charge for 3000BRT Steamer
50x8,8cm for 3500BRT Steamer
1xTorp for 3000BRT Steamer
1xTorp for 4000BRT Steamer
4x Demolition charge for 5890BRT Steamer (did not sink and needed a further torpedo as the weather was too bad for demolition charges)
1x Demolition charge for fishing vessel
2x Demolition charge for 177BRT Sailing vessel (Schooner with two masts)
1xTorp for 839BRT Steamer (In the diary is noted 4000BRT, the correct number is from Uboat.net
1xTorp for 5576BRT Tanker
1xTorp for 4000BRT Steamer
30-35x8,8cm for 2,833BRT Steamer (loaded iron ore, 15 direct hits according to Uboat.net
5x Demolition charge for 2400BRT Steamer

It seems the number of charges was increased from 4 to 5 at some point, maybe they saw that 4 often weren’t enough?

The second book is “Der Handelskrieg mit U-booten” by Arno Spindler:
It features a passage about two smaller vessels one with 500BRT and one with 900 BRT were sunk with one demolition charge.

Here also the captains mostly fire only one torpedo at a target and wait for the outcome.

Also some time ago you said you would be interested in torpedo-data and if I could send you what I have. Did you receive it or did it get lost?

Would you be interested in a “Marinequadratkarte”? It features the german naval map which the navy used in ww1 with the unique numbering system of the squares.

Thanks for making this awesome mod!

Best regards
P.S. I would love the addition of Möwe and Wolf, though I wonder how would the disguising part work? To my knowledge the ships mimicked some of their victims?
Thank you! I got the torpedo data. This new data is extremely enlightening. The number of shell hits needed to sink a merchant is about what I predicted. I would like to see the Marinequadratkarte (though I can't promise it will be included in the mod) - regardless it seems interesting, and I will probably at least have it as a non-usable map in the UBoot interior or the Captain's Campaign/Base Room. Interesting that they had over 70 demolition charges - I will probably just include 4-5 charges to make it simpler...with each one able to sink a medium-sized merchant. That would be in line with your data, plus many of the other patrols I have read about where no more than about 5 ships were destroyed per patrol with explosive charges. About Mowe and Wolf, I am still not sure how to imitate the effects of disguise paint schemes, although I have a couple ideas I want to test based on how sensors operate ingame.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote