View Single Post
Old 09-27-13, 08:25 AM   #25
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
DAB, get TOM CLANCY SSN and experiment with your scenario then film it. The game is ARCADISH enough to be understood by anyone!
I've owned SSN and read the book someone wrote on Tom Clancy's behalf to go alongside that game. I'm sure that if I downloaded the game, I could do what you are suggesting with the torpedo's

What I'm questioning is the assertion that because something can be done in an arcade(ish) like game, it must be proof positive that this capability exists. Likewise, an inability to do the same in another game (let's say Dangerous Waters) doesn't prove that the capability doesn't exist. The second half of my post then questions under what senario in real life a naval commander would stay put and make use of this ultra-secret niche capability when the prudent thing to do is turn tale and open up the range.

In research, journalism, intelligence and academia; something is not proven until there are (at least) two independent sources to colloberate it. A mass market computer game, whether it be SSN, 688I or Command:MANW is not a reliable source. If you want to to prove that this capability exists: then you will need to provide alternative, rigourous sources. Until then, saying that something is technically possible and could be done is no reason to insist that it "must" be added into a simulation.