Old 06-24-22, 02:53 PM   #842
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
I am not new to Subsim or SH3, as can be seen by my starting date But I AM new to Win 10.
And for the life of me, I can't get the game to run in Win 10.
I have the game on DVD from the old days. So it had Starforce on it. I did the removal thing after it installed and it said Starforce wasn't installed. I patched to the newest version. Still doesn't work. I keep getting an error popup saying

"This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/Server 2003 only".

Tried compatibility mode with EVERY option available. Still won't start. Still same error popup. Getting desperate. I really want to play the game but I sure don't want to install Win 95.

Can anyone help?

Dep
Am going to go out on a limb here.. & say... it sounds likely, that you followed the old conventional wisdom, of going with an installs default installation path & it installed in "C:\Program files" or... "C:\Program files (x86)"...

On installing, it is better to dump the default install pathway, & opting instead... to create your own pathway for the install.

Have found it better to point an install to either...

"C:\Games\(whatever game name folder)

or installing it on a hard drive that is NOT under UAC terror-tory control.

After doing an install & seeing that it is working as it "should" in just plain jane vanilla stock... would suggest making a copy of it & then... zip filing it.

This can be used to replace that copy in the unlikely event that something goes wrong should you chose to mod it with any mod set for SH3. I would strongly recommend using MultiSH3 with just the 1 copy... so that it keeps the main SH3 save folder, in pristine condition in case of such a corruption occurring.

It also gives the ability to run more than 1 modded version if you chose to want to run with more than 1 mod set.... simply unzip it into a new minted game folder inside of \Games (aptly named to whatever other mod set version you decide on using) & making sure to use MultiSH3 to keep the save folers... separate from 1 another.

A simpler means, before making that zip copy... drop in to the copy to be zipped... both JSGME & MultiSH3, so that both are already in the zip & no need to do so after unzipping into the new folder set up.

Hope this helps... as always.

M. M.