View Single Post
Old 11-12-21, 04:27 AM   #62
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
IMHO the value of M1TP2 is in easy and pleasurable replayability as well in never really fully explored potential of being a great sandbox for the custom mission which can reflect real-life conditions and doctrines.

That is only possible if the users have enough patience to learn this simulation inside out and be able to access the ability and skills to make custom missions from the simple text file.

The same applies to Gunship!

Both of those titles were simply pushed out of the house prematurely and unfinished due to stiff competition and greedy market/financial reasons. They have never been given a chance to shine.
I’ve been experimenting with various different hardware and software and the performance of M1TP2 and need to play a bit more. Oh - correct me if I’m wrong but the game plays fine on Windows XP, no? I found minor graphics anomalies at some of the menu screens and the exit button is missing….that’s it. Other than needing to use alt+f4 to exit, it runs great! FYI the game looks just as good under D3D as it does in Glide. I’m not really sure I’d be able to differentiate.

As far as gameplay goes, really it seems the key is getting your forces in a good position. I’ve been breaking the rules of “shoot, move, and communicate” in order to win the battles.

Unfortunately, my gunnery skills just don’t cut it so the best way for me to take out enemy tanks is to get on the high ground, STOP, then take ‘‘em out one at a time FAST just like the static gunnery training range. This is doctrinally incorrect.

The M1A2 tank should be able to shoot on the move and destroy moving enemy targets on the move. I’m just not effective that way, however. Maybe with enough practice….

In other similar armor simulations, I have a “battle drill” procedure in place once enemy armor is spotted:

1. Turn the hull to align with the target.
2. Pop smoke.
3. Fire, then back up over the top of a hill, if possible.
4. Call arty and air support on the target.
5. Wait for the reload, pull forward and reengage, then back up to cover, reload, repeat.

This procedure doesn’t work in M1TP2 because the align hull to gun command doesn’t always work. (maybe I just need to work with it a little more..l) Usually, arty and air have already been requested and are unavailable. I haven’t tried popping smoke. If the thermals can’t see thru it, it’s almost useless….need to try this, as I recall, you can’t see thru smoke in the game. Backing up behind a hill takes so long, you’re gonna get hit.

I recall in the original, the best tactic was to snipe enemy targets one at a time. That’s not what the FMs say to do but it works!!

I’m unclear on how to make custom missions. Better maps, would definitely help.

It’s just simple fun of lining everything up properly, then decimating those BRDMS, BMPs, and T-72s! I’m trying to get a game pad to work with this game but need to figure how to invert the Y axes.

Yeah - the entire world went over to either Steel Beasts or World of Tanks and abandoned M1TP2, iM1A2, and T-72!!! Oh well, more for me, lol!!!

I just can’t get into Steel Beasts - I don’t know why. Probably because there’s no campaign and it’s not actually a “game”.

World of Tanks - well, I love the graphics and all but that’s a first person shooter in a fantasy armor world. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just totally fictitious.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote