Thread: Position Keeper
View Single Post
Old 10-21-21, 11:42 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

I'll chime in...because over the years I have found myself fascinated with the TDC. Only working one left is at the USS Pampanito in San Francisco.

The Position Keeper (PK) was a major advantage over other nations TDC for their submarines. Basically, if your initial data inputted is solid, with the PK activated, you can keep track of the target without visual observations and watch it change on the TDC until the firing point, fire and get hits. Now, it is best of course to make visual attacks as things may change not easily interpreted. If you are using TMO in a Gato/Balao/Tambor/Gar/Tench, you have a 3D TDC where can literally watch the solution unfold in real time and accurately shoot without the map contacts on.

This offers a lot of flexibility and minimizes risk of periscope being spotted. IF you have to dive and fire in an emergency, you can just fire and the TDC PK continually updates the target based on your movement relative to the target...solves angles, range etc. Amazing piece of technology in real life and fairly well implemented in the sim, especially with mods.

Yes, you may move periscope and will not stop tracking target, only time info changes to new target is if you send new range/bearing/ AOB. If desire to switch targets, best to turn off PK and then turn it back on once have entered new data for best results.

If you are using auto targeting, no need to use the PK, can actually mess your firing solution up. Auto target in SH 4 is simply, point and shoot, based on the color of the triangle. Green means best solution, obviously. I wish they had bothered to make it a bit more immersive and realistic than that while keeping it simply, but they did not.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote