Old 07-23-22, 02:19 PM   #1533
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
Thank you both so much for the speedy reply. I'm amazed to see how far the community has progressed these last years, some very cool mods and even new games (Wolfpack, UBOAT).

I take your point about the futility of trying to shoot it out on the surface. Once I get a rivet counting detail stuck in my head I just feel the need to ask. I was just wondering if this is a technical limitation of SH 4 or something or other. Thank you again for indulging my pedantry!

Now that I've fussed, any tips to the Type IX? I don't think any of the newer subsims have it, so I'm trying to fall back on memories of GWX and coming up empty. A bit slower to dive, right?

Think, it was up to some kaleuns,... to pick & chose their subs a/c line of defense... up to a point. That being of course, what flak gun to have on board.

Of the different type uboats, available...

Type II (A-D variants):

Quickest to dive, not to mention... a greyhound as to maneuverability once submerged. Meaning this was a very nimble & agile sub.

The downside to them, was it had very short sea legs. i.e short fuel/rang economy... add to that, less storage capacity on batteries.

Add to that, it only carried... 5 at minimum, torpedo's. 3 loaded into the tubes... & 2 internal in reserve. Think I recall some leaving base with 3 stored away, inside the forward torpedo room. Which was another limitation of the Type II's, as well.

Not the 1st choice for patrolling far from base, more suited for intercoastal picket defense. Now, get a pack of them together... & it'd stand a bit better odds of doing some damages.

Type VII (A, B C, C/41-C/42, D):

The work horse of the Uboat service. More produced than any other type.

Not as fast at diving as the II's, but... better sea legs & able to pack more punch for the deutschmark.

Type IX (A, B, C & D variants)

Not as extensively built as the VII's & not sure if more of them built than the II's... but...

Better sea legs, more punch pack than the VII's... BUT...

major drawback, was its seriously slower dive time, overall.

This, of course... doesn't take into account, the other types... that actually saw the light of day... much less, so late to be built that didn't see action, to speak of.

M. M.