View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 12:57 PM   #4189
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
I am unfortunately back here with another bug report. So with the help of propbeanie we've gotten the midway mission for Nautilus working, but another issue has cropped up. I've wound my way into the middle of the Japanese fleet, sighting in on Akagi and fired four torpedos set to go off just under her draft. As soon as one torpedo is about to impact and the little event camera for that appears, the game hard crashes to desktop. It seems the Mark 14 has developed yet another flaw.

At first I thought it was Vickers03s "Sea life" causing the issue as it was warned to cause CTDs but I cleaned out the save game folder and ran the whole campaign again to get into the same situation without that mod installed and still got a crash on torpedo impact. Heres the current mod list for your perusal.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[Z:\Games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7
FotRSUv17m_Patch
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
CPT_ROOM_CUSTOM_NAME_PLATE
FOTRSU_1.7_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
BOMmisPatch

I've tried various troubleshooting measures like loading into a campaign and firing at ships in port to see if that detonation causes a crash but it does not! I'm totally at a loss as to what's going on here.
jumping in here...

it has been my experience that when this phenomenon occurs, it is an SH4 memory usage issue.
reboot your PC and reload your game and it should be ok.

this type of CTD will also occur if you are watching the torpedo hit through one of your periscopes.
it just happened me while i was playing TMO_Bubblehead1980 and i fired Mark 18's at a merchie. i did almost exactly what you did except when the event camera popped, i went to the scope to watch and blam .... then CTD (another blam).
i rebooted and everything was copacetic.

based on general system design experience, i believe that SH4 runs out of memory from time-to-time and CTD's are the result. in these examples we've discussed, a torpedo hit generates a lot of graphical activity which requires memory and when SH4 attempts to display the explosion and its results/aftermath, it tries to allocate additional memory and if there is not enough, then CTD-land.

it has been said before by others and bears repeating: SH4 was designed with a 4 meg usable memory limit for a Windows operating system back in 2006-2007. through modding the conditions of the game (graphics, additional RGG's, equipment enhancements, etc), we have placed additional burdens on SH4 and, of course, its memory handling. occasionally, we reach a point where SH4 cannot execute something that we think is perfectly normal.

try rebooting. hopefully, you have a savepoint such that you do not have to repeat the entire mission.
good luck, Herr Kaleun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote