View Single Post
Old 02-16-23, 09:09 PM   #2677
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Could we have some sneak peaks at the environment? How dark are the nights? How does storm look like?
Unfortunately I don't have screens of the complete environment yet. Plan is to use W_Clear's work with permission; his stuff is quite beautiful. Enhanced with volumetric clouds....I believe they did not exist when he first released his environmental mod.

Various modifications will be added such as the necessary changes to eliminate "jello water"...also reduced overhead opacity. When I lived near the Atlantic Ocean I had the chance to observe its opacity...SH4 environments far overestimate how easy it is to see underwater from overhead. For instance, when looking at freighters docked in harbor I could never see very far underneath the hull at the waterline...high plankton content, pollution, and impurities make Atlantic water very hard to see through.

Nights will be extremely dark; I have read of subs going undetected in real life at about 500 meters. Ships will be hard to see at night for the player but that's just something you will need to deal with. I will offer a lighter night mod for aesthetic reasons.

I will also add a more "washed out" set of colors for those who don't like environments too vivid, as well as a standard version with brighter colors. My idea for the washed out version will look kind of like "Saving Private Ryan" - I loved how Spielberg conveyed a dreary wartime ambience by using a restricted color palette, with heavy browns, beiges, and greys...it also conveyed an Early 20th Century atmosphere, before bright synthetic pigments for paint, clothing, etc existed.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote