Old 08-15-17, 05:28 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFishermanBob View Post
Can I understand more clearly:

You create a bootable USB stick, boot to 18.2, but there is a failure during 18.2 installation.

I have had a similar problem, when I downloaded the installation ISO, but the download was corrupted (damaged). It appeared to install correctly, but booting produced an 'insert bootable disc' error message.

Re-downloading the ISO and verifying the checksum allowed me to proceed and install successfully (on 4 machines and a virtual box image so far), including on machines that previously ran 17.3 or 18.1.

Note: the above were Cinnamon installs, not KDE, but that should not matter.

https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

The boot media described that fail on the notebook, all work on my tower PC flawlessly.

I now have tested:

- with Mint 18.2 (stick and DVD) ,

- and only DVD: 18.1, 18.0, Ubuntu 16.04.3, KDE neon 5.10.4 (I think this version it was). They all fail. However, on the tower system they work. Flaw is with the notebook. Only tested by DVD, because I ran out of sticks meanwhile. One even ended up by getting drowned in boiling tea water I threw it into in frustration.

I tested with Mint 17.2,. both stick and DVD: works both on notebook and tower PC.

I want Mint Cinnamon 18.2, that also is what is installed on the notebook.

Super-Grub option to check for existing OS, finds Miunt 18.2, can only be the one on the notebook SSD. Choosing thios option leads to some activity, racing command lines, and then a demand to enter a root password that I never met before, never have defined, never have set up. Entering nothing, space, "linux"/"linux" or my Mint account name and password, do not work.

How it came to this?
On the notebook I wanted to create a bootable Mint Live 18.2 as backup. Something, cannot say what, a tehcnical mishap, went wrong, ended up with the stick non-formattable (since it was turned bootable), but the ISO file was not correctly written on it apparently (I later find on testing), sinc eI could not proceed with it from here on (making it unbootable and formattable under linux was beyond my knowledge and by Google search results apparently was more difficult to do under Linux than under windows), I started my Windows 7 tower PC (dual boot) to do that there, I know how to do it under Windows. The Mint Notebook was shut down regularly.

When later wanting to reboot the notebook, it failed, as described.

The Mint 17.2 stick and DVD that I used for testing, are old copies that I created over a year ago and had stored away. All other media are newly made in the past two days, via W7 on tower PC.

P.S. Can a live system be started in safe mode, and then trying some options for Kernels, graphics drivers, or somethign like that? If so, I would need help there, too, its beyond my knowledge, but somebody mentioned these things.

Are there any mandatory settings for the UEFI? I just have manually switched off fast boot, safe boot, legacy boot (CSM) enabled , just to be sure. Should not be necessary from Mint 18 on, but as I said: just to be sure.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-15-17 at 05:53 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote