Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal101 View Post
Thanks Trevally appreciate the time and patience to reply SO
Thanks for your thanks

Quote:
From your post I take it those of us who are concerned with playing using the mod dont need to worry about the Patcher, that is what I first thought, but then reading more posts on this board I became unsure - so for now I will leave it out
Now here I am not an expert as I have not kept upto date with the most recent fixes, but I would say you should try and apply this.
If you can read a few time the guide to how to use the patcher - you can then use the "snapshot" the Vecko has made.
He did this because some people have made mistakes with the patcher - so TDW enabled us to load pre set setting. this is what the snapshot provided with this mod is (an easier way to use it)

So to use the patcher or not?

It is not required, but at some point in your gamming with SH5 you will come across and issue (game bug - of which there are many) and this issue will spoil your game. If you then come to this forum for help with the issue - users will tell you that that issue has been fixed by TDWs patcher.

So at some point you should use it.

I think it will be ok (not 100% sure here) to add it later when you are more familiar with the game. This would need to be done in what we call "a bunker save".

A bunker save is when you have docked at your home port and are off your boat standing on the wharf. Here you save your game and exit to add patches or mods. By doing this it gives the game a chance to change itself (modded) and then load correctly.
If you did not to this and changed your game while ON your boat - ctds are common as game creates a working file when you start a patrol (loading screen). If this working file does not match the game files = ctd
So bunker saves and then patching/modding lets your game create a new working file based on the changes you have made.

So installing mods at a bunker save is recommend (or at the very start of you game - before starting a new career as this will also create a working file)

So to sum up - use the patcher now or latter, but at some stage you should use it.

Quote:
I would also like to ask about the three optional patches that come in the download, now would a player concerned with realism and historical accuracy and excellent environmental and explosive affects, would they, could they, should they install all three, one or the other and if so is there a particular order - again I am sorry if this seems a dumb question, but I have no idea why I should choose one or the other, or none or all three

Thanks

Rascal
This is the minimum you should install:-
The Wolves of Steel 1.01
The Wolves of Steel 1.01 - Plotting Tools Fix v2

If you then find that you are unhappy with your boats GPS system of navigation - you can add "real nav" later

If you are not happy being able to look out your scope when 100m down and see DDs bearing down on you - add the under water mod (bunker save required )

When you get real good at attacking ships with the TDC and you then want another way to gain the info you need to make a solution for your torp run - you can add "*The Wolves of Steel 1.01 - Tscharlii's Realistic_Hydrophone_1_1 _7_4_2" as this mod (addon) will allow you to count the revolutions of a ships propeller and look up a chart to find its speed.
again this one need a bunker save

Its good to have choices, but it can make things harder.
Vecko's megamod has given us choices where he feels it most useful at the cost of some learning to install.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask as much as you want - we do try and answer most requests