View Single Post
Old 04-25-09, 06:21 PM   #1
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0
Tell us whats happening in your current campaign

I reckon this has been done loads of times before,but I think some of us should talk about their current campaigns,and whats been happening lately for them.
Well,i'll get the ball rolling with whats been happening for much of today.
As some of you may know from my earlier posts I was engaging a huge convoy somewhere in AK48,heading about 53 degrees at 9kts.the date is early October in 1942.Military presence was very high,I suspected at least 6 warships . In my first attack on the convoy I managed to fire 2 at a T3 from a range of about 500m inside the perimeter,and sunk it for about 11.000t.I managed to evade the Dcs with no damage and set myself up (using tactics described in my earlier 'anti convoy tactics' post) for a second attack about 5 hrs later.Again the convoy came,and I was in position to engage a T.Transport,and fired 2 from about 1000m,1 hit the other missed slightly.The Transport slowly started to lag behind the convoy as he was obviously in some trouble.Again I did all the usual maneuvers and sustained no damage.Attack 3 was coming up.Nightime was upon me,and the sea was very calm.I picked out a T2 Tanker,and prepared myself.However,my PS must have been detected and a searchlight lit up over the top of me . I wasted no time and went into a steep dive at flank and headed out on course 140 degrees.Dcs came very close and shook the boat violently,from about 3 attackers,yet again I managed to crawl out with no damage.I also noticed I was being pinged at 200m,so I dropped to 2kts and things fell quiet again.I then decided that effectively penetrating and weakening this convoy was too much,at least for one u-boat and decided to break off from this attack.I was slowly being pulled closer to the air zone around the UK,and I needed to break away now!.
I have now picked myself a new spot on this same track but much further to the west,and this is where I am now in my campaign.I am patrolling AK01,roughly where the 1st T3 was sunk hours earlier.On my way back I bumped into the troop transport at night,and sent 2 into it from 90 degrees abeam,and killed it in the water.It needed a final killing shot,and eventually sent it to the bottom.BDU was finally informed,and I proceeded a few hours submerged,just in case the message was intercepted,which incidentally hasnt happened to me...yet.
I am now in position,and will be patrolling this area for a maximum of 10 days,and have planned to return to base on the 13th Oct no matter what happens.I estimate a further 11 days to return to base at 8kts,and should return on the 24th.The Biscay Gauntlet will no doubt slow me down 3 - 4 days mind you
If I return,I will have been at sea about 6 weeks,my longest patrol yet.

Conclusion - enemy ASDIC has noticably increased since my last patrol,and will be given priority for next patrol,with a possible consideration of applying alberich to my u-boat.

Current Patrol Tonnage

1 x S.Merchant for about 3.000 GRT
1 x T3 Tanker for about 11.000 GRT
1 x T.transport for about 9,000t GRT
Total - around 22.000 GRT

Current Patrol: Captain Heinz Janning, 1st Flotilla, type IIA
Heading through the Skagerrak enroute to AN21 (Shetland)

Last edited by Paul Riley; 07-24-11 at 01:02 PM.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote