View Single Post
Old 04-02-22, 01:10 AM   #14
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
Ive read a load of Books on US subs, patrol reports and Books and nothing I ever read ever mentioned it. If you have a reference Id love to read the report. Not disrespecting you, Id like to see how exactly they concluded it was a DD or a Jap sub. How did the Japanese Know what depth to set? The Long Lance was a contact torpedo, so setting depth would be like shooting at a duck with a rifle at night. I cant imagine any Commanding Officer in any Navy wasting a resource like torpedos. Late war=desperation would seem reasonable.

I dont discount it happened a couple times, but as a matter of normal action, doesnt justify it on large scale in a simulation.

The USS Barb had a rocket launcher at the request of Fluckey..can we get that too?

I just think FOTRS has done really amazing and respectable things, and hate to see it get Arcady like Crash Dive II where the torpedo's go down 200+ ft and take out a sub.
Its also a Historical respect thing IMHO.
If I recall, GROWLER attacked three destroyers in the Aleutians on her first patrol in 1942. Hit two of the DD's, then the third DD launched torpedoes at Growler. Growler damaged the third in return, severely. That is going solely on memory, I will check my sources have saved and the patrol report and share with here tomorrow.

IMHO, I am inclined to agree with you overall. I will say that if a class of vessel had torpedoes, should be able to fire them in the sim. If they did not have them, really should not have them in the sim, part of maintaining a simulation.

Per the rocket launcher, I have heard that , as a upgrade (Which would be okay if its costly renown wise and only available at end of war) it is is in the works.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote