View Single Post
Old 03-31-22, 10:57 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

There are several stories of DD shooting torpedoes at subs. The SingleMission in FotRSU "Three Of A Kind" that cdrsubron7 built, is based on such an incident, where a sub on the surface was approaching a stationary DD near Attu. The US at the time was not cognizant of range of the Japanese Long Lance, so the sub was trying to get closer / faster in order to use their torpedoes before the DD got underway. Lookouts reported torpedo tracks coming at them when about 6,000 yards out, so they crash dived, and then heard more torpedoes inbound. I have the boat's name somewhere in my pile of 'stuff'... but there are other subs that have reports of torpedoes shot at them in their War Patrol Reports. They did not happen often, but they were not rare either. From what I can gather, less than the number of friendly-fire incidents, but there were quite a few. Submarines were often mistaken for a DD or subchaser from a distance, and the Japanese loved to shoot their Long Lance from long range. "Surprise" factor...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote