View Single Post
Old 10-28-23, 10:13 AM   #12
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

12 February 1942

Sumatra
IJN Kongo and Takao shelled the enemy troops north of Medan that were giving me problems a few days ago. Casualties were light, but hopefully disruption is high and they won't be much of a problem tomorrow.

The regular medium bomber raid on our troops near Oosthaven was successful this time, inflicting a single squad disablement at the cost of one bomber.

SouthPAC
I-172 sank a minesweeper off the coast of Sydney with a torpedo attack, while I-170 attacked a light cargo ship with gunfire on the surface, leaving it an inferno and very likely sinking it before it got to port.

I swept Noumea from Luganville, taking out 5 of 6 defending P-40s with no losses.

B-17s hit Luganville again, flak took down 1. No hits on the airbase. A second raid scored a single runway hit.

The KB unzipped its fly by attacking two singleton picket destroyers, one on each side of New Caledonia. The strikes all missed (save for one scoutplane claiming a hit on one of them).

Landings at the northern end of New Caledonia have begun.

Scoutplanes spotted a large enemy task force near Suva heading east, probably one of the two main TFs we spotted on the 10th. It ran over one of my subs that I put in the path of their likely retreat, but we failed to engage.

China
The enemy is creating a bit of a problem for me in the main battlefield between Nanyang and Sian. Our armored force has run into a superior concentration of enemies prior to reaching the main enemy force. So we actually can't attack or reach the main enemy force. To play it safe, I'll be retreating before he sallies troops out of Sian to envelop us. But, I think the cost of this is going to be reduced strength on the front line with my main force, which was gradually tipping in our favor anyway. So I expect to break through pretty soon.

We've also started to see enemy I-15 fighters start to intervene, and apparently with very well-trained pilots. They shot down an Oscar over Sian and and Oscar and a Lily outside Nanyang with no victories for us.

The second day of attack outside Nanchang resulted in a rout of the enemy. 288 devices destroyed to 2 of mine lost. I also attacked the enemy unit in the northern mountains again, casualties there were light but slightly worse for them, so better than last time.

Java and Banda Sea
I've moved my Zeroes and Betties from Makassar to Koepang temporarily for a strike on Darwin. Ships are still being reported in port, including a "CVE" which I've long doubted but recon is insisting on it so much that maybe the Hermes really is here. No fighters reported. But to be safe, this turn I swept Darwin with Oscars from Babar--clear skies.

Philippines
I'm noting a lack of flak on my airstrikes on Bataan. Because of this, I'm going to try reducing the bombing altitude of one of my bomber squadrons and see what happens. If there's still no flak I'll move everyone down in phases to increase bombing effectiveness. Ground attack tomorrow also, I'm well rested and if he's low on supply maybe I can end it here.

Burma
Port strike on Rangoon damages an AK and an AP, one defending Hurricane shot down. We've reached Moulmien and our forces appear superior. Ordering an attack tomorrow. One enemy Blenheim shot down trying to interdict.

We have an amphibious task force just outside Port Blair. Recon says resistance will be minimal.

CENTPAC
A curious development in the Gilberts, a few bogeys popped up at a dot base/atoll south of Tarawa. My best initial guess was these are aviation tenders looking to secretly set up a Catalina base to spy on my traffic in the Marshalls. But then I saw that Tarawa had reported being overflown by a "torpedo bomber" and a Kingfisher. So this might actually be a CVBG or cruisers. I'm ordering a recon flight of the atoll to see if I can detect any floatplanes at the atoll and/or aviation tenders disbanded. I've also dispatched a light surface combat task force from Truk to attack any aviation tenders we do spot. (I'd have sent one from the Marshalls, but they're all in Tokyo right now for refits)