View Single Post
Old 03-02-24, 08:27 AM   #55
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I find the default distance the putting meter has is nearly perfect in most cases, with uphill/downhill another factor to take in to account. If it is severely downhill you don't want to hit full for example. On level ground the default is nearly perfect for power when putting.

Over time you'll develop a feel for this. Sometimes you want to stroke the putt firmly in order to take some of the break out of it, ram it in the hole so to speak. Other times you want more finesse, and lag it up there, let it die near the hole. I despise three-putts so it's important to make a good first putt. I'm not always thinking of making it, especially on long and twisty lines. I just want to get it close. I often play too much break intentionally, which has the result of allowing the ball to die near the cup. Putts missed on the low side tend to run farther from the hole, all things being equal.

Golf is four distinct phases. Tee, approach, short and putting. To score well you have to get all of these things in a good place. Make the putts you should, and avoid disaster at all times by playing smart.