Old 11-25-08, 08:09 PM   #12
alexcraig
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
:rotfl:

Now if you had said you were using Overdrive, I could have told you to turn that crap of. :rotfl:

If you do overclocking, do it manually. Steer clear of programs that do it for you to find "optimum" settings, and disable dynamic OC/powersaving functions (C1E, EIST, etc). Saves you a lot of headaches.
I am manually OC'g the CPU and system memory.

I was not using the CCC overdrive function for the graphics card. Albeit, I did have the Hyperdrive option enabled in the Smart Doctor which you need to have engaged to control the fan speed for the card.

However, the problem still occured when I disengaged the Hyperdrive function. Bottom line, the only way I was able to cure the problem was to use the CCC overdrive to underclock the GPU core and memory speeds. I.E. The game would not run at the default core & memory speeds for the card.

I have not learned enough about GPU and graphics memory manual OC'ing as yet although I know it can be done by tweaking the BIOS settings. That's one of the next items on my agenda.

There's a lot of upside potential left in my Quad Core CPU as I got lucky and got an expectionally good one. However, I've pushed it as far I can with air cooling. Thus,, my next project is to convert my rig from air to water cooling. I've put together a custom solution with most of the parts being bought from Danger Den. Have everything sitting here except for one last part that is due in in 2 days. Gosh knows, I hate to rip the motherboard out of this thing as everything is neatly laid out with a lot of care given to cable routing, ties etc. to include a twin RAID array. However, there's no getting around it to install the CPU water block.

Alex Craig

Windows XP Pro
MSI 975X Platinum 'Power Up' Edition
Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition QX6800 1066MHz FSB 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
2 Gig of 'Extreme Dominator' DDR2 RAM
ASUS R4870 Top Video Card
Antec 850 TRUEPOWER Quattro PSU
Realtek HD Audio

Last edited by alexcraig; 11-25-08 at 08:17 PM.
alexcraig is offline   Reply With Quote