View Single Post
Old 07-03-22, 12:37 PM   #20
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
What I have trouble understanding is why, if Sturgeon wants independence, is she so hell bent on handing power over to the EU.
It's an interesting question, but I think the following is a big reason:

Scotland is a small country and thus would be at a disadvantage vis-a-vis larger ones. Being part of a larger bloc like the EU negates part of that problem, i.e. safety of the herd. Fundamentally, that was a part of the attraction in 1707, Scotland couldn't go it alone as colonial power so hitched a ride with England to gain access to the latters imperial holdings and the economic boost they provided. Likewise, when Keir Hardy and his ilk championed home rule in the early 20th Century it was "Home Rule within the Empire" (Dominion Status like AUS,CAN & NZ, effectively), not as a fully independant state. Viewed in that light, "Independance within the EU" is it's modern successor; largely self-governing but part of a much larger economic "Empire".

In many respects it comes down the social Elites of two sides, Indy vs Union, disagreeing on what is in Scotland's (and their own personal, for a lot of them) best economic interests.

The only thing they appear to agree on is that Scotland is better off as part of a larger grouping, just not the one the other side favours.

England, being a large country, doesn't really have to face the same problem.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
MGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote