Old 10-08-12, 10:53 PM   #10742
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
i never cared for Columbus.
A lot of folks don't. That's cool, but it's also too bad, since that entire period of history is fascinating (most of them are). The whole interrelationship between the Spanish and the Portuguese over being the first to exploit the ocean trade routes to China (the Italians already had a monopoly on the land routes), with the English and the French a little slow to the table, is a study in national greed and the attempt to establish and usurp power, religion and politics at their finest. I've just been reading Peter Padfield's two fine series of books on naval warfare as a tool of economics. Amazing stuff.

Quote:
any ways my specialty is WW2 and a little bit of the cold war... though i do stray to the civil war occasionally and i will tell you why the darker times in history because there are more lessons to learn from them
My biggest field of study is the development of the warship from 1860 through World War One, including the whys and wherefores of armor and armament. I also delve into the sailing warship, from the ancient galleys to the heyday of sail in the 1700s. I just love the machinery.

Quote:
NOW i made the pic to mock a "holiday" (if you can even call it that) that i don't really care for (the reason it is in a periscope as if i am going to torpedo it).
And you did a fine job. It was funny. I merely pointed out that today isn't Columbus day.

Quote:
and i even said it is Columbus day in the USA underneath it knowing full well that given the way America does their holidays that days do get mixed and are often celebrated at the wrong day.
And all I said was that you had the day wrong.

Quote:
also they never really cover Columbus in school (atleast where i went to school for high school and earlier) i expect that college may cover more on the subject IF i take the proper class
I wouldn't count on it. Classes rarely teach you the things you want to know, let alone the things you should know. I've found over the years that the only things we can truly learn are the things we find interesting. Different people are interested in different things, and that's as it should be. Watch for a thread by me on Friday.