View Single Post
Old 02-06-22, 03:37 PM   #10
DiTRay
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Another new project

Thanks for the tips!

I uncommented precipitation in weather.ini for default weather fronts and it worked. Haven't tried snow effects yet, only rain, but it looks a bit odd in my opinion. However, I suppose it was OK for Win95 hardware and it definitely adds more immersion, so I'll keep it.

Speaking of the Projekt Messerwetzer, I tried to install it on SH2 earlier. Well, as the patch exists for English and German versions only I got a crash on SH2 launch. So, I decided to try and make PM compatible with the Russian version of SH2 and if it works I would post the link to my work here.

After reading your reply I decided to acquire a physical copy of Destroyer Command in Russian. It was a hard task I'd say. I found the only copy on sale in my region if not in the whole country... To my surprise, the 1.0.3 version of DC works with v1.1 of SH2! I thought it is only possible since 1.1 patch. The only thing that annoys a little is that the video of the server instance is choppy, no matter if it's SH2 or DC. Hopefully PM patch would fix this. Here comes my another project: I'd like to translate PM not only for SH2, but also for DC. The patch 1.1 for DC should be translated also, it doesn't work out of the box. I'll post my results here, and I should definitely inform the Russian part of the forums. Writing about fixes for Russian versions in an English-speaking thread is a bit pointless in my opinion... However, I'd like to keep this thread as the main one, because this is where it all started.

Talking about Destroyer Command itself, I played it a little. To my surprise I liked it not less than SH2. Probably because the interface is almost the same, which makes me feel at home. In another hand, the gameplay and mechanics differ a lot really, which is curious to study. DC in Russia was distributed by another publisher than the SH2. So, there is no weather bug. However, the is another bug, which prevents secondary missions completion to trigger when a player returns back to the home port. And you know what? There is the same problem: in bases.ini the port names are in Russian, but in scenarios they are in English. The names of all vessels are translated, though. I'm going to fix this too and post my results here as well.

I wonder why nobody in Russian community ever wrote about all these problems? I found them in less then a month, but DC and SH2 exist for almost 20 years already...

I'll need to test my fixed versions of DC and SH2, so if there is anyone who would like to participate and play in the interoperability mode, I'll be glad to see you. The language of the games doesn't matter, the binaries are the same.

Anyway, as always I'll post my updates here ASAP.
DiTRay is offline   Reply With Quote