View Single Post
Old 12-12-19, 04:26 PM   #209
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default G4M Betty & CTD possible update

For Propbeanie,

I continued west at 9:30am on March 12, 1943 in the Solomon Sea, SW of Bogainville at approx. 154 degrees East & 7 degrees South when I again was attacked by a Betty.

Did not attempt to evade her course to make sure she attacked. At 6,000 yards she made a 360 degree circular maneuver and headed directly for me. Time to crash dive to 250 feet.

Located the Betty with the exterior event camera and actually saw her throw out a cylinder object which had to be a torpedo. Lost visual as she flew by and could not find her again with the camera.

As we dove to 250 feet, I could her 2 distinct high pitched whinny sounds that I assume were tracking torpedoes. Proceeded at top speed, wanting to get hit to see if there would be a CTD. Never got hit but for approx. 20 minutes continued hearing the high pitched sounds at various locations on the hydrophone dial. Then the sounds stopped and we surfaced.

It's my humble opinion that the Betty's torpedo may cause a CTD when it hunts and hits a target as the Betty flies off. I once tried (no criticism intended) a mod called "Webster’s Improved US Torpedo v2 and v3" where the Mark 10 torpedo caused a CDT when it hit a target, every time. All the other torpedoes worked great.

Just a thought, hope this is helpful.