Old 11-03-21, 03:36 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Here's the Silent Service episode for the Salmon:

I went on a submarine tour (I think it was HMS Ocelot, which is a post war sub, as one of the former crew was doing the tour) and he explained the system of overhead pipes with points to charge your air supply with in the case of an emergency evacuation. This was in the torpedo room and explained how they would flood the room and open the escape hatch to get out. It sounded pretty dire.

Then he turned out the lights and it was pitch black. No light at all. Couldn't even see a hand in front of your face. Then he said 'now imagine you've been injured, with maybe a broken arm'. That was I thought that I was glad I wouldn't be doing that for real that day.

On the US subs the escape system wasn't as quick.

Thanks for sharing, never watched that one before ( I do not believe so anyways) . My favorite thing is this was made when majority of those who survived the war, were still alive, so get to see/hear some of the actual people involved. Admiral Dykers for instance, he was the first CO of USS Jack and in the book "Silent Running" by Admiral (then a young Ensign/LT jg) he described Dykers and after seeing him on the show, he was spot on.

Oh man, the lights out, really gives one some perspective.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote