View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 04:10 PM   #6913
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You misunderstand me. I agree with you there. But nations are not altruistic, they are egoistic. So are governments. The actors I mentioned may not like to loose own influence. Right because the Ukraine militarily would be a heavyweight. You and me say thats an asset, and yes, the yhave proven themselves. But you and me are no government polticians of nations.

German foreign minister Baerbock for example already has already commented in a suspiciously muted manner. Germany is the obvious suspect against Ukraine membership. France also is. Turkey.

You see, Finland and Sweden also would be net contributors to the alliance strength. But not to such a "threatening" ammount as war-experienced Ukraine would be.

And then ther eis article 5. Some NATO members do nto want to get pulled into the war by that.

Finally, NATO statutes are clear. candidate can only be who has no unsolved border issues with any of his neighbours.

It will not happen like Selensky wants it. I can understand him, but it will not happen. Not before an end of at least this current round of the war has come. Europeans will not sign an agreement that could bring them straight into a nuclear war, in their perception.

Ok. I get what you are saying and I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

To be clear, both Sweden and Finland bring a lot to the party. And, I'm not just talking the " beer and chips. "