Old 07-28-12, 08:48 PM   #57
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Great Article Neal

I think super hardcore simulation players will be upset to hear it's not a pure simulation. And while that's the shame, I think this will introduce the genre and the history to more players, players who haven't even heard of the Silent Hunter genre, and, like in my case way back in 2001/2002, even heard of what a U-boat is!

I joined at the right time during release of Silent Hunter 2, and joined a great community at the WolfPack League. SH2 had it's flaws, and wasn't perfect, but it was fun, and the community is what really sold it for me. Had it not been for those guys (and few girls), the constant connection drops, bugs, and whole Project Messerwetzer drama would not have been worth it.

I personally am excited, it may not be super hardcore, but I think it will be fun. It's a hard job for a developer to make something everyone wants to play, it's impossible. Good luck SHO team, and pick me for the Closed Beta!
Thanks, Chad. Yes, the game definitely has possibilities. It will not replace SH3/SH4, but that was made clear from Ubisoft on day 1. I think some people need to be reminded several times, but whatever

I went for a long motorcycle ride today and was thinking along the same lines--one of the main engines of the growth and success of the Subsim community was the Wolfpack League social network that formed in anticipation of Silent Hunter II and interop multiplay with Destroyer Command. While the games were not what we had hoped for, the interaction among WPL players was superb. I can say that I never had more fun online. I migrated the WPL social aspect to Subsim and it was the right move. Through all the games we've seen:SH3, SH4 Sub Command, DW, etc., it has been as rewarding to interact with other players regarding the games as playing the games. And like you said, while SHO may not be what some players want, I think there will be thousands who really have a ball playing online with a strategic-layered, accessible Silent Hunter that connects them to their network stronger than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
Thanks for the sitrep, Neal. I see that SHO is exactly what I expected it to be. That being the case, I will definitely pass on this. Regardless of quality, it just seems a little too "arcade" for my tastes.
Thanks for reading. I completely understand, we will always have SH3.