View Single Post
Old 07-12-13, 09:07 PM   #4382
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
Hey, Vino, you old Sauce! Guess what, it fixed itself!

Gryff
Nice one - Mine is still misbehaving, which is a shame, I'll have to look into the updates thing....

Since this is a story thread I should say I started a RSRD campaign and just had a lulu of a shot. just south of Cam Ranh bay in early Dec '42. First patrol out.

Picked up a sonar contact at extreme range and thought it was a merchant - very low pitched and slow. Got a course and speed roughed out and an intercept plotted. Since it was done without radar or visual cues it was very rough indeed, but it got me ahead of the target. By the time I picked it up visually, my sonar operator had let me know it was a warship. long story short, it was a heavy cruiser. The light was bad and I didn't have a positive ID, but I used the SWAG system to estimate that a heavy cruiser is about 650 feet long and timed it through the crosshairs. It was altering course pretty constantly - anyway my TMA had given me 13 knots and SWAG had given me 10 so I split the difference at 11 1/2 knots and set up for DoK shot with a 20 degree lead angle. I decided to fire all four tubes in case of misses or duds. I set 1 & 3 to run deep and enabled the magnetic pistols.

The first one just barely clipped the bow, I suspect if I'd set it to contact it might not have, but the second hit right underneath the forward turret, and I suspect, set off the magazine, there were two big secondary explosions. the third hit under the bridge, but I suspect it was redundant. The fourth was a dud.

As luck would have it I saved it as a replay, so there's a chance I might get a screenshot or two yet. It's certainly fun sitting in front of the sub watching the fish launch. Oh for video capture software.....
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote