View Single Post
Old 09-03-22, 04:54 PM   #55
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

This is very sad news indeed. Sailor Steve was a mainstay of Subsim and someone who had a deep impact on may of us here. When I migrated to Subsim form the old Wolfpack League, I was a bit hesitant about posting, social interaction never being a strong point for me; I finally posted a response to a thread, IIRC, about earthquakes, giving a detailed summation of the major quakes that hit Los Angeles between 1971 and 1994; I was surprised when there was an immediately follow post from Sailor Steve wherein he not only 'graded' my grammar, he also gave a critique of my exposition on the topic; thankfully, Steve gave me good marks on both...

I had a couple of PM experiences with Steve over the years; once, Steve had to admonish myself and a couple of other members who had gotten a bit heated about some topic; I felt I owed Steve an apology for causing him to have to intervene, so I sent him a PM with my apologies; I really didn't expect to hear anything back, but I was surprised when a response shewed up in my inbox; I thought for sure Steve was going to tell me I was brigged, but, instead he was very gracious in accepting my apology and in assuring me all was well on the matter; there was another time I felt the need to apologize to him and, again, he was gracious and conciliatory...

Sailor Steve was always a gentleman at heart and one of the most valued members of Subsim. When he began to be seen less often on Subsim, I, like others, feared for his well-being, given his health challenges; I kind of had the feeling he had "gone to ground", something I have noted about not a few of the people my age who are facing uncertainty over health and longevity; I only hope there was someone around him to ease his transition to peace; someone like Sailor Steve deserved not to be alone on the start of his final voyage...

I hope Sailor Steve has found his peace at last and that he is being rewarded for the good, good person he was, and, if the way he he has touched the lives and hearts of those he knew or knew him accounts towards the good, then his reward will be great indeed...

RIP Sailor Steve...

<O>