View Single Post
Old 05-22-07, 12:58 PM   #42
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
Just curious ... with the ease of use of DOSBOX why people prefer to build and maintain entirely separate machines for old games?

I currently have: AOD, SHCE, RTD, RT1, and BRD running under DOSBOX 0.70 with very new hardware using a secondary 20" CRT which is mainly used for running low res old games. Aside from the simplicity of only having a single system to deal with, you get all the benefits of Window's game play (ie: read email while patrolling) that isn't really available under true DOS. Also, getting the right number of CPU cycles is much easier under DOSBOX, since you can just adjust this by hand. On a multi-core machine with multiple monitors, you can even play multiple games at the same time on different displays with different processors such that they don't even interfere with each other.

Just curious what's the atraction of PC time machines from the 1980's? Thanks.
Lol, I have nothing against DOSBOX at all, I just can't figure it out

Seriously, you have a good point, Mark. I needed a Win95 machine to get CAOD running, like Hitman said, plus I plan to build this as a project arcade machine, with all the subsims I can make work. I like the nostalgia, seeing all the old stuff on an old machine. Also, part of the attraction is have a disposable PC (less than $50) so I am not monkeying around with my main workstation.

Have you thought about writing a DOSBOX tutorial for each of the games you listed? Man, that would be great and I would be proud to make it a main feature at Subsim, plus send you some goodies

cheers
Neal