View Single Post
Old 04-02-24, 06:00 PM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Rest in peace Lt. CMDR. Lou Conter.
The sneak attack at Pearl Harbor saw my Grandfather and many great Uncles and I'm sure many other relatives that people have / had enter World War 2. My Grandfather and a few great Uncles In the U.S Navy and Marines chased the Japanese forces across the Pacific and many Island hopping campaigns.

One Great story from the Pearl Harbor attack was that of Doris Miller. Doris was a Navy Cook who when his ship was attacked manned an Anti-aircraft gun without any training and shot down one enemy Aircraft. Eye witnesses put that number at four to six aircraft. When his guns ran out of ammunition, Doris helped a number of wounded sailors including his Commanding Officer while under continued attack by the Japanese. Doris received the Navy Cross from Admiral Chester Nimitz. In fact, Doris was eligible for the Medal of Honor. Racism being as rampant and pervasive as it was then, was denied this Medal and acknowledgement.

Quote: Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox—who opposed Black sailors serving the United States in any combat role—recommended against Miller receiving the Medal of Honor. Indeed, not a single Black sailor, soldier, or marine was awarded the Medal of Honor between 1941 and 1945, and in 1996 Vernon J. Baker was the only Black veteran of World War II to be awarded this decoration while yet alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

These men and women like Lt. CMDR. Lou Conter, Doris Miller and many others of this time were called the greatest generation for a good reason.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-03-24 at 12:40 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote