View Single Post
Old 06-25-22, 06:38 AM   #129
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Indeed, but decided to put AOB as if they were not doing zig-zag. When I fired it should had been 70º +/- and shoot when the cruiser began to zag, coming in my direction.

It did pay of!

I always switch back on the fire control, no top brass is there to see and the crew says nothing in port...
But historically, after the orders, all ships sunk by US subs, late 43 and until the end of the war, the torpedos were always on contact fuse?

I understand and also, not always manage to get a throat shot right, but at least is fun seeing a DD still going with out part of the it...

Well, in the mod is supposed to match history. In TMO update the magnetic features of exploder are supposed to be deactivated regardless of how player "switches" on the control panel...it's a setting in sim file. I may have left it checked by mistake.

Historically...

In June 24/25 (I forget which day) 1943 orders were sent out to Pacific Fleet Submarines (COMUBPAC) at sea to deactivate magnetic features on torpedoes, use contact only. This was welcomed due to the issues had with magnetic exploders. Torpedoes in base had them deactivated and were sent out on on boats in following weeks. What was discovered was the magnetic influence problem was masking the "dud" torpedo problem to a large degree. The firing pin was crushing on impact and not igniting the torpedo warhead.

Australia based boats (Fremantle, COMSUBSOWESPAC) under Admiral Christiem were ordered by him to keep magnetic features activated. Christie had been part of the development of the magnetic exploders and refused to acknowledge the problems. Brisbane based boats under Admiral Fife were under same orders.

Some, well many but not all Captains would go to sea, order the magnetic exploders deactivated, it was kept quiet. If any torpedoes remained after patrol, they had the magnetic influence reactivated before reaching port. Christie began to suspect this and had the base torpedoman use specific colored paint on crews on access panels to torpedo to see if had been tampered with. Sympathetic torpedoman told sub crews this, so they would take extra paint of x color to sea and simply touch up paint to hide evidence.
Of course this also meant some patrol reports had to be fudged a bit.

This went on for Australia based boats until January 20, 1944, when under orders from his superior, Adm. Christie ordered boats to deactivate magnetic features and Adm Fife in Brisbane gave same orders.
I included a Australia torpedoes Torpex mod for this reason.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote