Old 01-16-23, 05:36 PM   #715
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

25 October 1943
Fight for Tinian now unwinnable

Marshall Islands
I had a 3-destroyer task force cruising the Marshalls looking for a fight, and it looked like they might get one. An enemy destroyer briefly engaged them near Roi-Namur, but broke contact before either side landed any hits.

CENTPAC
Now at least 2 enemy task forces have begun to bombard our Marines on Tinian, one of which includes the battleships Ise and Kongo.

An enemy land attack came which was about 4x as strong as the prior one--they've reinforced, big time. Maybe it was a horrible mistake to back my carriers off... Even with my troops from Guadalcanal, we can't beat them on Tinian anymore. That said, they haven't worn us down yet, casualties 3665 (J) to 567 (A) this time. But that's going to get worse fast.

Japan
USS Blackfish scored a torpedo hit on an enemy cargo ship, but it wasn't lethal. This was well southeast of Japan, further east than I'd have expected.

DEI
I sent a B-24 raid to Makassar base as our airfields continue to expand, allowing the heavy bombers to move to more forward bases. Unfortunately the B-24s arrived before a P-38 sweep instead of after as intended. That miscue cost us 5 B-24s. Damage to the airbase was light, but was enough to destroy 2 Topsy transports and 2 Sally medium bombers.

Celebes Sea
An enemy surface combat task force, including the Musashi and Haruna, crossed the Celebes Sea, drawing the attention of 16 Beaufighters and 11 B-25Gs:

CL Naka, Shell hits 12
BB Musashi, Shell hits 2
DD Hatsuzuki, Shell hits 4
DD Niizuki, Shell hits 4
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 1
---
stragglers:
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 1
BB Musashi, Bomb hits 2
E Kiji, Shell hits 2

A second raid in the afternoon on the same task force:
CL Naka, Shell hits 4
----
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 1
DD Hatsuzuki, Shell hits 4
BB Musashi, Bomb hits 5
CL Naka, Shell hits 4
E Kiji, Shell hits 1
No ships were seriously damaged; the bombs hitting the battleships didn't get through the armor.

Last edited by Molon Labe; 01-17-23 at 06:15 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote