View Single Post
Old 06-07-17, 01:40 AM   #10
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Best piece of advice I can give from the hours I put in on CW today, be smart with your speed on the map and fight on your own terms. If an enemy (especially a diesel) catches you coming off sprint @ 26 knots, you probably have torps head your way a soon as combat starts, you just don't know it yet.

Conversely, I had very good luck against two Foxtrots when I lined up an ambush and entered combat @ 5 knots. They seemed to be snorkeling at 8 knot while running at shallow depth and making a fair bit of noise. Second one was still a little dicey though because the surprise was gone.

Speaking of surprises, I savaged a group of three Novembers that were making their way through the Norwegian Sea at high speed. First one was still sprinting @ 26 knots, didn't hear the torps until it was too late. Second one managed to dodge my first spread, and then my second. Comically, the second scared him out of the water and he tried to get away on the surface (not sure of the Mk 37 will still hit them if they are surfaced or not) until he met a Mk 16.

Saved the best for last though, the third November was farther off to the North and after hearing his friends die, no doubt knew I was in the area. I picked him up kind of close (inside 3500 yards) creeping slow and heading right for me. Foolishly I waited to see the whites of his eyes before engaging. I worry too much that the Mk 37 is too slow against Nuke boats so I try to keep the ranges as tight as possible. In this case it backfired tremendously as the November lit me up on active and nearly put a fish through my nose. I'm not entirely sure what happened next, as I did snap-shot off a Mk 37 his way, while also firing off a noisemaker and pulling a 360 degree turn. While his fish was initially locked on, the noisemaker and knuckles managed to shake it off of me and I'm about 90% sure that it went on to pull a Konavolov. I may be wrong, as I did have that snap-shot fish that I lost track of, however I watched that SET-65 head back his way pinging quick for acquisition.

Either way, this is one hell of a game!