Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 01-25-23, 11:42 AM   #410
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The drilling should be respected, its a beast, if handed properly, and useful especially in Africa and against buffalo in general. Those buffalos absolutely do not like getting shot at and not killed, and they let you know that. The drilling means a shot from longer distance, it then chases at you, and in that rush you give it another round. Short before it reaches you, you give it the single big callibre round for short distance.

I have been chased across all the map by angry buffalos, whole herds, that was a bug back then, and I do not know if meanwhile it got fixed. Be warned, however, expect everything. Meeting a buffalo at close range in high grass in Africa is also not a nice surprise, but can go terribly wrong, buffalos do not like the player to pop up close to them by surprise. Nor does the player like it after the first such experience. Also, Africa has stampeding big herds. You may not want to stand in their way, you might get plowed under.

Simiiar warning for the wolves in Alaska. Shoot their Alpha and see the rest of the pack going after your throat, you need to then kill several of them, so have your rifles or pistols right. A single round weapon is not the best idea.

I recently read that the few scent sint he game currently are functionless anyway, but the opinions seem to be divided. In Classic, you can call (bigger range), then mark the spot you have chosen with scent, and then sneak some dozen meters away, scents reach not as far as callers. The animal approaches, gets attracted to the scent, and thats the time when it is where you want to have it. However, some sly foxes and coyotes and such may flank you and apporoach you cautiously form a direciton you abslutely did not expect. They are "clever", may not apprahc in astraight line.Othger animals may get distracted during their approach, and wander off. If calling too often, you may spook them.

You can find prey, move back a bit, set up the tripod or treestand, move forwardf again, call, move onto the tripod or treestand, and then wait. That might be a safe oiption against potentially dangeorus animals that might attack if getting wounded only. The accoustic side of things is not realistically simualted in thes egames, you can see it a bit more relaxed than you would in relaity.

Scent suppressor spray imo is not needed, I am not even certain that it has an effect. I used it only in Classic, and then only when hunting with a simple bow and needed to get real close. But staying out of sight I think was more important.

Its a game, many things are simplified. Still: very enjoyable.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-25-23 at 11:57 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote