Old 12-01-22, 08:33 PM   #647
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

23 August 1943
China becoming very fluid

China

The enemy has reacted to my penetration into their lines in the north and may be able to stop me from taking Chenting. My attempt to take that base today resulted in 2000 casualties for us and 1200 for them, taking fortification levels from 3 to 1. I might possibly overrun them soon, but more reinforcements will probably arrive first.

The enemy is also sending additional troops to try to break me at Nanchang, has blocked my flanking force from finding an opening south of Keifeng, and he has once again moved troops between Chusien and Wenchow. I can't prevail on all of these fronts... but then again, neither can he. My priority is Hong Kong then Chusien/Wenchow, and I'm sort of indifferent about Nanchang and Chenting.

Celebes Sea
USS Peto attacked an enemy cargo ship on the surface near the southern Philippine coast, scoring 2 detonating torpedo hits along with gunfire, sinking it.

DEI
An enemy minesweeper is making very short work of sub-laid mines at Kendari. USS Snapper tried to attack the minesweeper but was detected by it and depth charged for light damage.

I anticipated the enemy fighter presence at Kendari would resume due to yesterday's lackluster ASUW attacks, and ordered a sweep. Turned out I was right, we had a pretty big furball, 20 P-38s vs 15 Tojos and 11 Tonies. We got 3 Tonies and 2 Tojos with no losses.

B-24 raids on Ambon destroyed a midget sub docked there.

SouthPAC
A Kingfisher from USS North Carolina (Yorktown-II CVBG) claimed to have succesfully bombed a submarine northwest of the task forces.

As much as I'd like to take out those troops on Ponape, it's not a prize worth risking my carriers over. I'm still going to get to slaughter the enemy at Guadalcanal, and if I don't mess it up, at Ambon. I'm going to be OK with that. Yorktown and Lexington, both now having been UNREP'd, are headed to Solomons for now.

Reinforcements and Withdrawals
No.353 Sqn RAF withdraws (Hudson bombers based in India)
DD Trathen arrives at San Francisco
DD Wadsworth arrives at Eastern USA
VMF(N)-531 Det 1 arrives at Eastern USA (3 Ventura night fighters)
612th Coast AA Regiment arrives at San Francisco
43rd Aviation Base Force arrives at San Francisco