Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 06-03-16, 07:48 PM   #79
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

I've returned from the deep open seas North and East of the Phillipines in a homemade "Quick Mission". I used SH4 v1.4 with the full v2 FotRS mod, so that I could get a feel for what it is as-is. I do not remember much of my high skrul German, and I managed to hit a few buttons that a minimally competent skipper wouldn't dare get close to, but I did manage to stay beneath the waves at a safe depth for the most part...

and I found "The Sound"!!! Oh my gosh... I'm still hearing it... and I've been out from under the headphones for a while now. Very strange. The sound didn't start for me right away. I went below the thermal layer (about 208ft) for stealth, waited for the lead ship to pass over me, then came up to periscope depth and attacked. I shot 10 fishies at 3 targets, got two duds and one miss - about right for me on "Auto" - wounding all 3 targets I shot at. The FotRS v2 graphics are astounding compared to stock. The night is darker, the water is wetter, etc... Some of the explosion sequences do repeat, just like stock, but man, they sure are perty - and there's FIRE!!! It's when I went after the leftover Furutaka cruiser that I encountered the sound. I also discovered that the ship doesn't target well, just like it doesn't in stock. I hit it with ONE torpedo, out of about six tries... It "hopped" over some of my shots - it just had to have... I'll review the "save" footage later...

I'll try to do some captures from the saved game later. I also managed to record that sound, by using my ASIO audio app while the game played the WDM audio. I'll cut the parts we don't need, and post a link for it somewhere later. My guess is that it comes after using time compressions *and* having been deep - maybe...

I'm off to do the SH4 v1.5 FotRS Ultimate test next, using the same Single Mission. More later, if I don't get distracted by the game...

Edit: FotRS v2 parts in Silent Hunter v1.5 gets the same sound, only I got it to happen as soon as I came back up from down deep below the thermal layer, which in this case was approx 242 feet. I did not use the same Quick Mission, since I got in too much of a hurry, and forgot to copy the scenario over to the other SH4 folder before I started playing. The scenario might have a bearing on it. But still. Definitely audio, and tomorrow I'll start playing each audio file in the folders individually, since it's in the main audio and not a 3d sound, music, or sound effects. I'll post back if I find it. Maybe someone else has already found it?... Tomorrow, I'll do just some straight diving deep and coming back up, and also some surfaced time compression, and see if either one or the other or both have an influence on the behavior.

I got some "video" and screen captures, but they look awful, compared to the game itself. I'll have to have my 16 y.o. son show me how to do that stuff so it looks as good as possible... :wink:

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-04-16 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added more
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote