Thread: WW2 pbem
View Single Post
Old 07-12-10, 08:31 AM   #1
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0
Default WW2 pbem

Note that this is a text-based email game.

This is not a battle game, although combat is part of it. This is a game about command. I cannot give you animation and sound effects or plastic or cardboard pieces to move about the game table. I can give you the feelings and immersion of being one officer among many who must work together against all odds.

If you feel frustration, impatience, boredom, lack of resources and information, and most of all, a sense of uncertainty, this was my plan. In real life officers cannot quit because the radio doesn’t work or instructions didn’t come through. They could not check out if the promised support wasn’t provided or the higher authority isn’t providing much leadership. An effective military commander must be able to "adapt and thrive under circumstances of complexity, ambiguity and rapid change." War is about messed up plans, yours and theirs.

One group of players will do well in this game, the others won’t. If a group communicates well success will be the reward. This game is about communications and the lack of it. We have nothing but our imaginations and a set of rules to guide our efforts. The more challenging, the better; but challenge doesn’t always come from the enemy.

This is a big, deep, challenging game that needs a lot of players to depict the war as intended. Get into this if you are a thinker.