View Single Post
Old 02-20-13, 12:50 PM   #37
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Triiiiiiicky.

I do love the Fairey Swordfish, the good old stringbag. She was reliable, could carry just about anything, could be modified for extra range (replace the spotter with a fuel tank) and was so slow that the Bismarcks AAA computer couldn't calculate a proper lead range.

The Spitfire is, obviously, a good choice, likewise the Hurricane, the Rolls Royce Merlin purr. I think the Spitfire has one of the most modified designs in history, going well into the mark twenties and lasting into the 1950s/60s in various nations. The Hurricane was a reliable workhorse, the unsung hero of the Battle of Britain, and that endears it to me a little bit more than the Spitfire because God knows I love an underdog

Now, for a different approach for a Brit. The Bf109. A fascinating design, comfortable to fly, a good climbing fighter, and the engine is very well made. The engine noise itself is almost as beautiful as the Merlin purr, with that supercharger whine as it tears past you. I have to agree that the E series was the most beautiful of the 109s although I do like the Trop version of the Gustav. Just don't mention the undercarriage or the glass nose of the early versions...

Now for the plane that won the war (TM), the P-51 Mustang. A classic example of when British and American co-operation goes right (that and the Firefly). The early models without the bubble canopy are a bit mweh, but when you get to the D, well, you're doing it right.
Had the pleasure of attending several P-51 flypasts, as well as witnessing (briefly) the memorable sight of an F-15 and P-51 flying in formation. Something that always gets me with the P-51 is not the Merlin engine, it's the noise the air makes as it goes through the 50 cal MG barrels. Anyone who's witnessed a P-51 in a dive will know what I mean.

The C-47, or DC-3, whichever you prefer to use.
A classic example of a design done right. Rugged, reliable, and still going strong. I'm lucky enough to live under the flight path of a chap who lives in Holland who flies a Dakota, so periodically I hear that beautiful engine drone as it flies over. Always makes me think of the brave men who paradropped from them over France and Holland during the war.

The B-17. This one crept on to my list when I purchased the A2A accusim version of the B-17 for Flight Simulator X. I'm now fairly sure I could start up the real thing if I ever needed to, and boy is she a lovely aircraft to play around with. Again though, it makes me think how lucky I am to fly with no AAA shooting at me, but she is a tough cookie. Although I do grimace when I consider the fate of the poor ball gunner on B-17s whose undercarriages collapse on landing...

Other honourable mentions include the Tempest and Typhoon, in particularly the 1b variant of the Typhoon with the bubble canopy. The Fw-190, butcher bird, a high altitude killer. The Gotha Go-229, fantastically beautiful design but never used, and the Lancaster...because...well, it's the Lancaster, does it need any other reason?
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote