View Single Post
Old 08-18-23, 05:56 AM   #178
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

On the controllers for Quest 3. Seem to be very precise, and latency within limits.

https://mixed-news.com/en/quest-3-co...cking-quality/

Touch Pro Controllers from the - underwhelmingly received and overpriced - Quest Pro can be used.

The Mixed Reality - named Passthrough - of the Quest 3 will be in colour, and is sharp enough so that you can text on your smartphone or read your watch. Also, as far as I believe to have understood, it pictures your surrounding in stereoscopic 3D, too. Apps must apparently support this feature, though the Quest 2 allows manual activation for a certain time by doing some gesture trick with the hand near your headset. I strongly assume this is present in the Quest 3, too. Not just people with kids will like this feature.

And here are some gadgets I find to be very useful.

Warmth, lense fogging and sweat is a problem under the mask, especially if you run a sports or workout title. Although I read the Quest 3 is cooler than other masks: I beleiuve it when I see it. A ventilator pointing to your face is a must in VR anyway, but something like this also is good and is a must for me when I did my workouts with BoxVR (still the best of its kind imo even if they do not sell it anymore, the successor looks much inferior):

With Golf+ and Walkabout Minigolf there are at least two very popular Golf titles, and when you swing your irons, you may want to use one of these sticks, which come in many models from various brands, some of them exactly mimicking the weight of a real Golf bat. Stick. Racket. What were they called like?

The lock must of course match the form of the handcontroller. Not any controller may work on any such stick. Most are for the Quest 1+2. The new Quest 3 controllers have no tracking rings anymore, so one has to wait for producers to adapt.

And very interesting for me: table tennis grips. Because like in "big" tennis, you may want to change your hand's grip around the paddle's grip depending on your strikes. Thats not working too well with VR default controllers. If you are serious about table tennis, you NEED something like this. If you just pingpong a bit, you dont.

Needless to say, such grips also exist for pistols and rifles.

When I row with Mirage Kayak I use to additionally hold a bar in both hands, plus the controllers. It helps to make much more natural and realistic arm movements, this improves technique, this improves speed, stability, manouverability

It slike with any sim: what you put into it is what you get out from it. Approach it like an arcade game, and arcade is what the title gives you back. Approach it with an attitude of matching the real thing, and you get much more realism out of it. Its like that with flight sims. Racing sims. And realistic sports sims in VR as well.

Finally, this trailer, its the usual commercial picture stuff, but from 00:00:35 on you get an idea what Passthrough (mixed reality) with the Quest 3 is about, what the idea behind it is. The AI in the headset is described to be able by itself to identify reasonable spaces in the real world where to project VR content, and scaling it correctly. It is also to be used for the guardian system that projects a virtual cage or warnings into your field of vision when you approach the limit of the real world space that you defined in the setup to be your playing area, so now you have the pleasure to see the cupboard in real time that you are about to slam into. That allows for just panic screams just in time. LOL

The Quest 2 will be on sale for some time after release, it already is (~ 320 coins over here), but be aware that you get some less technology with it: 50% less processing power, 40% less resolution, black/white and pixelated 2D Passthrough , slightly thicker size. The official Quest shop holds over 500 games and apps, Quest 3 is said by Meta to be compatible with them.

The boss of the VR department at Meta says the Quest 3 starts the real phase 2.0 in VR, and by the printed stuff so far I wonder how it could not be so, this could become a market breakthrough. Something tells me that Apple can pack its thing and leave. Their price tag for their headset is ridiculous.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-18-23 at 06:29 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote