View Single Post
Old 05-21-22, 06:01 AM   #39
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ok, some info I pulled up, concerning just what is ''volumetric fog'', though note... the article covers both aspects of volumetrics... fog, as well as light.

https://culturedvultures.com/volumet...%20your%20game.

Basically, it is a game system or.. for better want of a more proper word, to do with creating the impression of fog... in game/sim environment... which, if it worked, as it is 'supposed to', would be grand.

But... (& a very BIG but, here... mind you... ) this optional graphics setting, as I know of it & understand it, works fine...

For newer games/sims...

SH4 (& I think, in 5, as well... I think... )...

NOT so much, or well, for that matter.

Have seen times, when I've... tried... attempted to, more like... using that, in the settings, of having crew pull a... Casper the friendly ghost routine. Meaning, you could see right throuh them... & it wasn't just relegated to crew only. Ohhhh no... uhh uhh.

It also affected ships, well... some of them, as well.

NOT a good look... not, at all.

So... only thing that can be done... is to just avoid using that, in the graphics settings, at all.

And... that's not including the probability, of taking a huge fps hit, either... which can occur, as you'll note in that page I pulled up &... can attest to, as well.

if you have a grand, newer game as well as a grand gaming computer rig that would excel at using those settings, then it's fine to use.

Thing is... SH4 (as well as 3 & in a short time here soon, 5 as well) are seriously going to start showing their age.

In the mean time, enjoy it for as long as you can... hopefully, that will be for quite a long time, at that.

Replay, I believe is a save of a patrol/mission (either solo, a rerun f 1 that occurred in real life... or a in-game career one... I think here... was hoping someone else could step up & answer that, as well as about the game saves...) that makes it able to be watched... sort of like a recorded... event, like say... as an example here.. only... football/baseball/basketball... take your pick here... but, that's just a WAG, at that.

Saves, am not going to reply much on that but to say, that saves were radically redone from 3 to 4, & in doing so... did make deleting them, a bit... less risky than 3's were... but... even then, there still is some risk in messing them up... the newest save files, are not near as hard wired dependent on older ones, as was the case with saves in SH3.

4, after a fashion, will do its own house keeping & start dropping older saves, starting with the oldest one's 1st... & work its way toward the newer ones, after a time, stopping when there is a set # of saves left.

Wanna say I think is around maybe... 20 saves, before the house keeper starts doing the sweeping out... but, can't confirm that for definite, as I haven't really did a hard case study on that exact #, to be frank about it.

M. M.

Okay, thanks for explaining!

I might tinker around with the V-Fog from time to time ... let's see ...

Okay, so, Sh4 does it's own Game Save-"Clean-up" ... okay, good to know ... I'll watch for that ...

I guess, it's better to use a "Short Mission" instead of the "Training Academy", for getting to know the game ...

Thanks again!