Old 05-19-22, 02:51 PM   #31
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Bridge (F4):

A. No, but could it... no idea. Would be a very nice immersive addition, if it can be done.

B. See A, above.

C. As with B, see A, above.

D. Not that I am aware of... they're pretty much set in stone, as far as I know of... not to say, that I may be mistaken about that. Now, that said... you can move them about, in the... crew mgmt page (F7) but... beyond that... not as far, as I know... no.

Crew Mgmt.(F7):

A. Crew rotation, is preset to a... 8 hr shift, which... is a nice addition, since it frees you up to concentrate more on commanding the boat, a bit more than it did in 3.

B. Seeing as how, the Type II, is a smaller sub.. thereby is not going to need nowhere near the man power that say... a VII or IX is... 1 would be a bare minimum, I'd think... though feel 2 would be more... relative in terms of that room being manned. This would give the chief crew man there, a... runner if you will, an extra set of hands.

C. For that area, a simple calling it the... torpedo room, would be more apt... (especially on a Type II, seeing as how it only had 1 such room... unlike the VII's or the other follow up sus did. )

During a patrol, would figure that crew would only really be assigned in there... or... at least fully manned at any rate... during say, an attack.... yes.

Other times, keeping say... 1 or at best, 2 in the event of say... an emergency situation of damage occurring & flooding being a danger... but, outside of that... BUT... to be frank about it.. not real sure of what the operational doctrine was about all the sections & their 'manned readiness' state was to be. not having served in the navy, much less aboard a ship.

So... I can only surmise or take a very WAG here, about that. So, on that note... take that with a very big, T3 cargo load of sea salt, for what its worth...

D. From what I know, there is if you look to the bow while in the conning tower, is a set of controls there... that would operate the rudder, thereby the means to steer the sub to either port or starboard. Just as there would be, in the control room. While surfaced, it would make it to where the crew on bridge, (including the skipper, as well.) would NOT have to shout down into the sub through the conning tower.. or shout into those voice tubes, either... I would imagine...

Think, that it was left out, of having the animation & the space lacking the recognition of the player assigning a crew man to that position... is why we don't see them taking up that position &... being active while there.

E. When any ship comes in, to dock, you have a set of crew, that takes up 'docking stations' aka 'mooring'... that I know of. Those assigned to that, then toss to guys on the dock, mooring lines aka ropes that then get tied off... thereby, securing the ship while in dock.

As with D., above... think this is limited owing to the lack of proper animation to show that interaction when you do an RTB*. (Return To Base*)

Radio Crew:

A. On that... if you're using that interior mod for KSD II: Ace, then would have to ask them (the maker of said mod) about that... no ideas there... Sorry. Have wondered about that, as well.... but just shrugged & just let it slip by the wayside...

Radio Room (F8):

A. That, is auto filled in for you... as you progress, get radio flash traffic, aka messages & such... even when you run across target/s & sink them. So is not something you have to deal with, 'filling out'.

This, function... holds the same back in 3, as well... so if you're used to it there... that hasn't changed with 4, either.

Weapons Officer:

A.

If by this, you're asking about using the weapons officer or the Wachoffizier (1WO), then... believe that would be the same methodology... as say in SH3... in the options menu. Selecting the... no contacts... (I believe is the right option there) & leaving the weapons officer assist option unchecked.

After that, is a matter of using the options in the peri icon on the command bar, to have them ID ships, plot a torp attack solution, as well as open up the tubes & finally... firing the torp off...

Again, if I have all that down right on the path to follow in using them, to do an attack... which, I think I do...

So, yes... it is possible to do & most of that as outlined I beieve is in the options menu... BUT... would NEED doing in the correct menu, as there is 2 of them.

The 1st one, is in the main menu before starting off on a career... the 2nd options menu is located in the office... that filing cabinet, to the left of the door, which is the exit back to main menu.

As for being sorry about asking all these questions... don't be.

The only stupid question, is the 1... never asked.

How else, are you going to learn... if you never ask or are afraid to ask...

As always... hope this is of help.

M. M.

Okay, onward ... I'm now on the A/A Training with a VIIB boat ...

I think I pretty much understand the crew mgmt., just takes some getting used to...

On the VII boat, there is also only one radio position in F7 and that guy is also manning the sonar station vs. the radio station ... oh well ...

There are however, 2 engine room positions to be manned in the VII boat.

I suppose, the kitchen is closed as of a certian time in the evening, because no matter where I position crew members in F7, there is nobody on that station, as of a certain time in the evening (at least in the type II boat).

I will come back to the Weapons Officer support, once I get to the Torpedo Training ...

F9 is supposed to take you to the Captains Room/Bunk, but takes you to the seat of the attack periscope instead (same for II and VII boat).

Still waiting to see, if this searchlight actually exists, once we come across a friendly uboat or enter the harbour. The same for the mooring crew ...

I also found an option that one can click "Rescue", if a pilot of a shot down airplane is sighted ... looking forward to that ...

I also found a radio that is supposed to air daily news reports but if I saw correctly, only as of 10 Sept.1939, which makes sense, and since I'm still in August 1939 with the training flotilla, that wouldn't work yet.

Now, just a few general questions:

- What exactly does "Realistic Sound Travel Time" in the Sound Options mean?

- What does the "Vertical Sync" do in the Graphics Options?

- How can one delete Game Saves?

- In the game data folder, is the Sound File, which has the amb.SubInterior.wav file. I like the background sound of the KSDII game but I like the GWX one even better. Could the KSDII file be replaced with the GX file, without causing any problems, since it is a Sh3 file?

Thanks again!