View Single Post
Old 07-20-18, 05:23 PM   #24
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I just tested the demo for Racket NX. We have a new must-have for the list of VR games!

Its a mix of Arkanoid, Squash and Racketball, played under a hex-plated 360° dome. There are several game modes and multiplayer, and although they want a room setting, my two sensors and a 2x2m playing arena worked perfectly well.

They got this game absolutely right, evertyhing in it, the physics of the energy ball, the way you can add spin and slice, and hitting the ball has something in it that gives amazing satisfaction. If you add power to your hits, let the bat snap around your wrist so that it kicks the thing like a whip, it gives you a feeling and a result that you become addicted to in no time. The game was in Early Access since 2016 and has just been fully released some days ago, and they apparently used this lot of time to really finetune things and get every little detail of the game mechanics right.

Superb VR game, excellent, I'm hyped! This is no doubt one of the best VR games out there currently. It also is a fantastic demonstrator for the potential of VR.

Free demo available, test it, 350 MB at Steam. I will buy and download the full version tomorrow, currently with a 25% discount (15 Euros).

P.S. There is a couple of good sports games out there that really can get your blood moving faster and get you sweating and fogging your headset. BoxVR, Racket Fury, Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight, First Person Tennis and now Racket NX all count to this category. I did martial arts for the better part of my life but stopped training over ten years ago, so I know what real sports of this kind is, I also played a bit of Tennis when I was young, really, just a little bit, Boris Becker hype and all that LOL. I do not say these kind of VR games are full substitutes for a real workout, but lets be fair to what they try to be: they really are better than no sports at all.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-20-18 at 05:33 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote