View Single Post
Old 07-09-18, 09:18 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Its been half a year with VR for me now. The initial fever has toned down a bit, but I am still extremely happy with it. The starting curiosity also has adapted to a more laid back style again, and beside my initial main interests Assetto Corsa and Raceroom, I now use it frequently and very often for Google Earth as well as Eleven Table Tennis.

I cannot recommend Eleven much enough. It is a superb, physically most exact simulation of the sports. I just came in from the garden where I played the last half an hour real world table tennis with the son of one family living in this house. It was the first time I have played the real thing since my schooldays, which are over 30 years ago. And it felt like what i did the past weeks and months, 4 or 5 days per week for half an hour in VR. It worked the same, the swinging and effect worked the same, it was all and everything the same. If you go VR, get this little gem, it is superb. The young man did not believe me when telling him I had not played TT for over 30 years. Actually, he is right. I feel as if I play it every day. And I have dramatically improved, last but not least due to its trainign options allowing me to train just one special strike and situation at a time. IMO, this is one of the best games avaikalble for VR. It scores maximum points in the category of "simulating its object".

Another famous table tennis game is Racket, but I must "warn" against itr. Its presentation is better, yes, and it offers more candy like animated robo-opponents and futuristic environments, but what counts is the ball physics and the paddle physics, and while for itself it works, regarding the pyhsics and realism Eleven imo plays it into the ground: far superior, just that. If realism is what you want: Eleven trumps Racket.

I also found A-10 VR. This is no flight sim at all, I do not kow where they got the title. Its a space pistolero shooter with two different laser pistols, and you have to defend your position against incoming UFOs that may split into multiple targets if hit, or explode once they slowly had managed to drift to your position and contacting your "body". The graphics are quite abstract, but match the setting very well. This is no new game idea, not at all. What makes this title so splendid that I recommend it, is the virtuous perfection by which it works. A-10 presents htis game idea in an imo excellent execution that raises the difficulty comfortably, but constantly, until you finally gte overwhelmed. If you test it, make sure you understand that the training mode is designed to not raise the challenge, but to stay at a low pace. Mayn people overlook this and then rate the game on basis of this boring, dull gameplay. Those who found out later and played again with the real game modes and difficulty, immediately skyrocketed their ratings. A-10 does not sound like much, but it is a hell of a good shooting game, really. 360° arena around you. I just love it.

The pinball tables by ZEN, Flipper FX 2 VR, are a mixed bag, some of them play nice and well, others are a bit dull, but the visual presentation is always very good. If pinball is your game, this comes recommended, even more since finally they have implemented proper controller support. Finally. Thje tables are not too simple, but could offer some more complexity nevertheless, for my taste. All in all: Good stuff. The VR makes the tables and palying them areally new experience - and your ball control will benefit from it, believe me.

Fallout 4 which came for HTC only, was greeted with mixed reactions, there seems to be some design flaws in it and some quesitonable design decisions which made this release one that trails behind its expectations. But Skyrim! This classic works VERY well, and is probably one of the very, very best games available for VR currently. Show me any better one: status July 2018. If the controversy about Fallout 4 VR held you back, rest assured: your concern is not valid when it comes to Skyrim. It works. And it is a blast. All DLCs included. It even can be modded.

I occasionally have some fun with some swinging done in First Person Tennis, which is still in developement, its not perfect, but surprisngly good, the concept works well enough. If you want to tennis a bit, go for it, you hardly will consider it to be a mistake. Its fun, really, thoguh not as sophisticated as Eleven table tennis. However, make sure you play NOT at simplified physics model, but the realistic one. Ands beware your funiture. this is one of the VR games that indeed is "dangerous".

The Golf Club VR is a nice Golf game. I do not play it much, got it more for a sense of "completeness" (a computer is no computer as long as it has no chess and no golf game installed). It seems to be quite realistic on the physis side, and surprisingly the swinging and the height callbration works indeed very well.

I tried some other, minor stuff as well, but nothing too serious there. Also Elite , but the VR game for me has the same problem like the standard version of it: the new player is left too alone with too much fiddling around with the controls. I just cannot get immersed enough to dive deeper into it. Technically/visually, Elite in VR is one of the most impressive games available for VR currently. David Braben really wastes a big opportunity with this title, since years. Its not as if peope did not let him know.

Needless to say: in racing games, VR works at its very best, this - and Google Earth and Streetview - is what VR was made for, as far as games are concerned. Assetto Corsa and Raceroom are no games any longer - they are experiences.

-----

Have I missed any major new VR game over the last 6 months that scores big time and is stunningly well-done? Any tips, secret recommendations, whispered titles traded under the table?

Last edited by Skybird; 07-09-18 at 09:31 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote