View Single Post
Old 12-09-17, 09:31 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Ridley Scotts company RSA announced they are working on a VR game "Alien Covenant". Their early attempt of turnign "The Martian" into a brief game, was not really cheered about by players, so I halt my applaus.

Alien Isolation in VR - is horror. I do not say more than that it really tests your nervous costume. It gives me the creeps. Feels very intense, I appreciate it somewhat, but do not really enjoy it.

Rumours are consolidating that 2018 first 4K headsets will come out, amongst them a HTC set, and a crowdfunded Chinese set by Pixma. But what I read of the latter, sounds dubious so far, I would take it with a grain of salt. They even talk about 8K displays - with crowdfunding of just 100 thousand as a goal, and super frames of up to 140-180 Hz and a latency below 12 ms, via software accessing both Steam and HTC shops and Oculus Home...? I believe it when I see it. And it remains to be seen what PC hardware, namely graphics boards, will make of such headsets.

I have made good experiences with The Golf Club meanwhile, and Sprts Bar, which I would recommend to all of you wanting to gather in a social media sytel in a virtual bar, noit kust chatting, but also playing several typical bar games togetherk the host cna even set up his preferred Jukebox mix and music videos. It has still some bugs here and there, but the core elements work very well and likely. It allos platforms combined: HTC, Oculus, Playstation. Up to I think 12 players in one room, and some bots. The implementaiton of pool is well done with the AI, so is shuffleboard and Air Hockey. Darts needs to get used to. Chain reaction is a nice reaction automat, and there also are chess and checkerb oards (wiothout AI, to be used by two human players), and some ball-throwing thing that I did not know, plus many non-seriosu gimmicks. Want to form a lobby with your friends? This one is a nice way to do it.

I focus on racing now, but have tested VR in Elite as well, unfortunately, while the cockpit experience is great, the game has such an alienating access and lack of default-delivered documentation and needs to be set up with so compley a menu, that it has killed my enjoyment quite rapidly. It loois and feels great, yes, but nevertheless Braben has managed to ruin it, in my opinion. What was he thinking. And then the business model - micrortansactions like in Raceroom. What was he thinking, what only was he just thinking. Not pleasant to be played with Touch controllers. Cannot recommend this one.

I tested and refunded X Rebirtgh VR as well, whcih is brandnew. It uses Vulcan gfx engien and looks nice, but once again this stupdi compoany has placed a messed-.up release, they sjt did not learn from their msitakes in 2014, but somewhat repwat it.The steering is vilating the standards of al flightsimming just for the sake of making it different - and worse. Cannot recommend this either, I filed a requestr for refund, and got it.

I travelled the Grand Canyon for - beolpeive it - 2 and a half hours. Google Earth is my big love affair and beside Assetto corsa and Raceroom the thing I use VR most for.

I wait for sales to start further exmaination of Holoball and Battlezone.

First Person Tennis I also strongly recommend, if hitting balls with your handstick is what you are looking for. Eleven Table Tennis oprves to last much loigner thna just for a few days, I play it regularly, and I enjoy it. Subnautica got a new graphics update just two days ago.

Aerofly FS2 is on my cnsideraiton list, but I just cannot get mayslef embarking on it. My fglying times indeed seem to be over, somewhat. It is said to have a superior VR experience and indeed has fanatastic visuals, but on ly in the day, its areas of high detail are phto scenery, more or less. Their switzerland addon was the basis of the first Aerofly title, I know it. Its a Flightsim LIGHT, and looks awesome -durign the day. But no life, no complexity, no interactive scenery, only rudimentary cockpit functionality. I assume this becomes uninteresting rather quickly. Thats why I keep my money.

I think I skip on DCS VR, I imagine it is much more work to set it up and then flying it (I knew it in the last) as if I am willing to inverst that much time and effort anymore. Yes, my flying times feel like being over.

All in all it is indeed like I anticipated weeks ago before the new rig arrived. VR is the nonplusultra for racing sims already now. A natural combination. If racing is your thing, you owe it to yourself to forget triple screens and to plot course for VR. Several light-sports games work very well, too.