View Single Post
Old 08-05-17, 05:28 AM   #8
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by origl_main_raptor2 View Post
But the DC's do...That suggests that there IS such a beast. If you have a special DataPoint for a single type of specific object, then that is bad software design, because you try and have the same number of properties within types for each object in that type, so to me there should be a Blast Radius Datapoint for every object within type WEAPONS. Killerfish just ain't showing it. In fact in the Soviets DC in weapons.txt it's there, I believe.
Depth weapons are treated differently and have a different set of fields. I've also tried to set an arbitrary detonation depth (say 300 ft.) to see if this would work but it's a yes or no field with the actual setting data coming as an input from the launch platform (the Ka-25 dips and pings you, knows you're at 350 feet and fuses his weapons accordingly).

Depth Detonation (True / False)
Contact Detonation (True / False)

By all means if you have any way around this or think you can get it to work give it a try but I'm just telling you what's already been tried / looked at before.

I've mentioned before that I'd very much like to see Nukes in the game because these weapons were deployed and often carried throughout the Cold War, but there are certainly game-play considerations to be made. What's to stop somebody from firing off a Mk 45 at the middle of every tender formation they get, or rippling off all four of their SUBROCs to do an area bombardment because they can't find that last contact. These have to be addressed and the answer (getting nuked by the Soviets in the inevitable tactical bombardment that would be sure to come) is one that few players would like or find entertaining.