View Single Post
Old 04-16-22, 10:54 AM   #815
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980
Battery Recharge Fix will remain of course ..

I'll see about including a mod to keep them if want to use them, kind of depends on how many changes have to make and things and effects it has on other features. Things are often intertwined so may not work.

One issue with the "Engine Expert" ability is I've changed the boats some, to have more realistic acceleration/deceleration times, turning radius, (boats are a little too agile) and dive times. A Gato can now dive when hit the D key at flank speed from surface to periscope depth in 35-40 seconds, which is historically accurate, but before was only possible with the special ability. When I had the engine expert on board while testing new changes, boat will dive in 15-20 seconds lol which is uh not possible for a Gato , Balao, etc. Basically, with my changes the need for the engines expert is not there his is how UBI should have done it, but they were uh lazy and just went the route of special abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wreckless View Post
Understandable
Quote:
I am almost finished with this portion of mod, just trying to get few settings correct for fuel usage, hopefully will make it into the release, if not, will have to be patched. Very tedious, time consuming process to get it right.

Torpedo expert will be eliminated. Crew abilities really had no bearing on torpedo performance related to magnetic and duds, they were manufacturing/design issues inherent in torpedo. I've found this ability reduces the malfunction rate for too much, esp after loading a saved game.
Quote:
Agree. What about Master Torpedoman? I can see that being useful. Crews always trained to load faster.
Quote:
Medic- I plan to assign the ability to a enlisted man and rename ability as "Pharmacists Mate" , as it is amore appropriate than "medic" for the Navy and the crew member having ability being a officer. All changes work well, will remain.

Quote:
Never understood why UBI labeled him a "Medic" and an "Ensign". I think "PhM3", Petty Officer 3rd Class should be the lowest rank for him, due to the training involved to become one.
during WWII the boat's medical resource was rarely an officer. if you get one in SH4 it is because the crew definition parameters were set to allow the assignment of that special ability to an officer.

Quote:
Chief Engineer, like I said it depends. If can eliminate ability to fix everything, but retain the pump speed (which believe can be done as I found in the files settings, haven't tested yet though) will keep him, if not, he will go. With the revised (and further revised) damage model , the ability is really not needed and seems to interfere with things Some more testing to do before am sure though.

Quote:
I kind of like the "Master Engineer"
i concur with Wreckless. a Master Engineer can help fix damage, especially the serious damage, however, contrary to the Ubi documentation, i have never seen one repair a destroyed item. that, my friends, is an Ubi prevarication.

Quote:
Gunnery Special Ability is definitely going, as well as the "Theoretician"

Quote:
Agree. Kind of useless if you ask me. Just use one of the crew that has a high "gunnery" rating. "Theoretician"?
i disagree. having a Sharpshooter available makes your deck gun much more effective at finishing cripples.
and...a Theoretician provides leadership and can change the performance of the crew members, especially at critical times.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote