Thread: SH-60 Help
View Single Post
Old 06-28-07, 12:05 PM   #1
btaft
Soundman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default SH-60 Help

Hi I am relatively new to DW and from some of the advice that I received earlier am starting to learn the SH-60. I have working on the Helo Demo scenario. I have been able to do the following

Basically I have been using two lines of Sonobuoys to form an array and then listening on those until the signature of the Victor III comes up. When it does I switch the two closest buoys to directional mode and get the two bearings to triangulate the position. I then wait about 10 minutes to get a second position. After that I fly to the first point and then fly along a path that goes through the second point with the MAD deployed until I get the MAD signature. This tells me that I am essentially over the top of the sub. On my last try I launched a fish and it went off on its own searching in vain well away from the Victor III. I had initially set a run out bearing about the bearing I was traveling with a depth of 100ft with active pinging.

My questions are

1) Are these good tactics in finding and engaging a sub from a helo. If not are their better approaches

2) I have a feeling my torpedo presets are not ideal for the situation. Would it be better to have it in a circular pattern and drop it as soon as I get the MAD alarm. Or should I back up along the course and launch from further away down a heading?

3) Are the torpedo preset bearing relative to the helo or are they global

4) Any other help on presets is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett
btaft is offline   Reply With Quote