View Single Post
Old 10-31-21, 05:39 PM   #9
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
I'm surprised it's even mentioned in the handbook, at that stage of the war.

Maybe like most handbooks, there was the book way and there was the real life way.
Just to give complete info:

My understanding is that the book was compiled by successful uboat commanders. Well, if you look at the timing, it was much easier to be successful before 1943. I suspect all of the commanders involved had now finished their combat careers, so they had been out of action for a period of time. Once you finished going to sea and got promoted, you generally started working administratively, which includes training. I suspect they collectively decided it would be a beneficial training aid. So all of the info in the book would apply had the war continued on as it was. However, as we all know now, things shifted dramatically in the beginning of 1943. The tactics become useless pretty quickly after that.

I will say that, for any SH3 aficionado, the book is worth reading. It is pretty short, could probably read it in 1/2 hour or so. Gives good insight into what they were thinking at the time. Kind of informs your gameplay as well if you are looking for immersion.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote